Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths book suggestions please!

Options
  • 10-04-2012 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am going to be giving a FETAC level 3 maths course shortly and was wondering if there would be a projects maths book at that level ( junior cert) that might be worth getting. I would like to try make the course as interesting as possible and thought that the project maths might help in that regard.
    Any suggestions very welcome.
    Thanks for your time.
    PaulieBoy :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

What content do you have to cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

doc_17 wrote: »
    What content do you have to cover?
    Very basic stuff. Fractions, decimals, percentages, etc. Shapes ie, squares, rectangles, circles. Volume and area. Scale drawing.
    About the sum total !
    Just looking for a book with any interesting ideas.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

The content you mention there is really just primary school maths ( where project maths doesn't really apply) by the sounds of things. If you really wanted a PM book then stick to the Junior Cert and maybe try Active Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Hi Paulieboy, I have externally examined level 4 maths and delivered level 5 maths. Although a previous poster pointed out much of the material at level 3 is primary school, this material is also revised and built on in first year maths. I think folens active maths book for first year is very good and it looks at something as simple as multiplication in a whole new way that weaker students definately appreciate. It would also be great for giving more advanced questions to students who find the classwork too easy. I think it'd be a good investment but have a look at it and decide for yourself :)

Oh i reread your post again, and remembered that this book also has material on area volume and scale drawing that would be very useful to you as well. You might need to devise similar questions to those in the book cos each exercise only has a handful of simple enough questions before students are chucked in the deep end and you'd definately want to ease adult learners into material by focusing on the basics and asking them questions about more advanced questions before letting them have a go on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

lestat21 wrote: »
    Hi Paulieboy, I have externally examined level 4 maths and delivered level 5 maths. Although a previous poster pointed out much of the material at level 3 is primary school, this material is also revised and built on in first year maths. I think folens active maths book for first year is very good and it looks at something as simple as multiplication in a whole new way that weaker students definately appreciate. It would also be great for giving more advanced questions to students who find the classwork too easy. I think it'd be a good investment but have a look at it and decide for yourself :)

Oh i reread your post again, and remembered that this book also has material on area volume and scale drawing that would be very useful to you as well. You might need to devise similar questions to those in the book cos each exercise only has a handful of simple enough questions before students are chucked in the deep end and you'd definately want to ease adult learners into material by focusing on the basics and asking them questions about more advanced questions before letting them have a go on their own
    Most helpful! Thank you very much :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement