Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I stick with my Epiphone SG (G-400) or get a new guitar?

Options
  • 09-04-2012 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

So I got my Epiphone SG almost 3 years ago, and it has never been perfect, it's just starting to really bug me now, the intonation has always been off, even 2 days after I got it fixed so I haven't bothered going back to the guitar repairman to fix that (don't have 40 euros to throw away). The SLIGHTEST movement of the neck makes it sound like I'm bending the string about 2 semitones. And finally the G, B and E strings sound absolutely shocking, I can hear a rattling noise from the bridge (I think) even when it's plugged into my amp.

There are also more problems that are just irritating me, such as the noisiness of the neck pickup and other problems.

Is it worth getting repaired? Or should I just go out and buy a new guitar?

I've been considering a Mexican-made Strat, but I'm open to suggestions. I'd like something that would be suitable for distortion/overdrive but also give out a decent clean sound.

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Intonation is easy to do yourself. Wouldn't be spending 40 quid on it!

It also sounds like your G B and E strings are too low. Try raising the action a bit and see what difference that makes.

The kind of things that will "fix" that guitar are simple, a monkey with some allen keys and a bit of patience could do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iangobl

I would personally buy a new one because that stuff would annoy the hell out of me.
    Having said that you would have to make sure your completely happy before buying a new one. If you buy one that has some small flaw on it like something being slightly off in 3 years time you will be saying the same thing. It would be better to save up for a while and buy a good standard guitar that will last you for life.

Also I know nothing about fixing guitars I just play them so this is all being said with the presumption that there are no quick fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

There are a number of websites and videos around that will show you how to set intonation etc on a guitar, there's an example of a video on that topic below. You could see your current guitar as an opportunity to learn more about setup and so on before you sell it. I had an Epi Les Paul that was an absolute joy to play once it had been setup properly. I wouldn't give up on the SG yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If its a lefty and you're in Dublin, sell it. sell it for 60-80 quid to a short bearded gentleman eating a bag of mexicorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭AlmightyDublin

If you're from Dublin, they have those Mexican Strats in X-Music, if you want to check them out :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

groovie and Alanstrainor have it right. The rest of the posts are not helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

strats are lovely guitars to play, i have two :D one is a mex with SSS pickups, the other is an american with HSS pickups. both sound very different, and i love them both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Reset the intonation at the bridge, there's helpful videos on YouTube that show you how, I used to get a rattling noise on my epi sg but I just had to replace the jack input, you could try that. I play my sg along with my Ltd kh-202 and I could never imagine getting rid of my sg, it's an absolute gem once it's set up right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Having owned a number of epi's over the years, unfortunately some are just temperamental, and I've found quite a bit of variation in build quality / playability.

I own a mex strat which I am very happy with, but make sure you try one out, as the neck profile and weight distribution will be quite different to your SG.

The SSS stock pickups on my strat sound nice with overdrive, but (I find) they dont quite match the sound of a decent humbucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ElectricTaurus

Hi,

what i can suggest is to change the nut possibly it's a plastic one and the machine heads.

I own an epiphone SG as a second guitar and with few little mods I have a great sounding guitar that can rival with my Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Few mods suggested:

upgrade the electronics, epi use real cheap stuff the one of 28$ will do:

http://www.specialtyguitars.com/kits/lespaul.html

You can buy a a bone nut

http://www.guitarpartsandmore.com/?nav=products&cat=1&sub=6

If you are in dublin Gerry from Haze guitar can sort you out with the nut and machine heads an a pro set up, you can go DIY installing both.

If you have extra cash you can order a couple of good pick ups:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/seymour_duncan_ssph901b_gold.htm?sid=a766fa1cc93ccf27e32d7f025ad6ae39

nowdays low and midrange guitars are great products there are few areas like nut,machine heads, pickup that lack quality but little mods can give your instrument and extra speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Enda08

m0ynihan wrote: »
    ...The SLIGHTEST movement of the neck makes it sound like I'm bending the string about 2 semitones....

For what it's worth I've had a few "rubber neck" guitars over the years; a Vintage VS6 (SG copy), a Vintage V100 (LP copy) and a Yamaha MSG1000 (PRS Copy). Some say it's just poor quality Chinese mahogany :confused: whatever the reason, I just had to get rid of 'em. I've also met countless guitars with rock solid necks from a PRS CU24 to a Yamaha Pacifica 112, so if it's flexing too much for ya get rid, a light-touch player won't even know what you're talking about & be happy as Larry with it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Sell the SG and Buy a Dot ;)

Advertisement