Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish lessons/fun for 5 year old

Options
  • 09-04-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

My daughter has been accepted into a Gaelscoil in D6 from Sept. We're thrilled as it's a great place but as property market is still rather stuck, I don't think we'll be able to move the 8km there. I'd hoped we would 4 years ago. A commute in daily traffic for 8 years would be a severe trial.

It's a great school as I said and we hope that she'd get into a brilliant senior school in Stillorgan from there. It's a long way away, I know. I'm just concerned that she might end up with few local friends where we are and be remote from her cairde nua from school.

Our alternative is to put her in local school here instead of the bunscoil in D6 and get her involved in fun activites or classes as ghaeilge at weekends?Anyone know of any please? Go raibh maith agaibh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Hi there,
    I don't think your daughter can get into Coláiste Íosagáin without attending one of the Gaelscoil feeder schools. Check their rules and make sure.
    Have you checked to see if any other parents send their kids from your area? There might be a school-bus. Suppose it's rare for a primary school though.

I'm sorry I can't be of any help with the weekend Irish activities.
    Comhluadar have plenty but that would mean speaking to your daughter in Irish at home. Still, maybe if you got on to Comhluadar they'd be able to give you advice? They're an organisation that help parents who raise their kids through Irish outside the Gaeltacht. Not neccessarly fluent parents though; might be worth making a query.

Also, make sure you let a TD know that you want a Gaelscoil in your area! Maybe even find like-minded parents and make a petition! :D

Advertisement