Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thin Lizzy cancelling their gigs to support Gn'R??

Options
  • 09-04-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

From what I can gather, they've cancelled a string of dates in the UK and "rescheduled" as support for Guns n' roses.

This doubles the price of tickets for fans and shortens the setlist. So essentially, you're paying double for half the act.

Plus, I hate Guns n' roses and certainly wouldn't be sticking around to see Axel throw a hissy fit on stage. I think Lizzy are doing a dis-service to themselves by selling out their own headline gigs to support them.

I saw them twice last year at the Olympia and the royal in castlebar and was looking forward to seeing them again this year when they announced their Dublin date. That date has now been removed from their website and the GnR date added instead.

I know A LOT of people that had planned to go but aren't now.

Bad call methinks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I also think it's a bad call, but I can see how it is great for MCD, as GnR are understandably selling badly

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

They will prob reschedule all the dates for later on in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

magentas wrote: »
    This doubles the price of tickets for fans and shortens the setlist. So essentially, you're paying double for half the act.

What MCD SHOULD HAVE DONE is to tell people who had Thin Lizzy tickets that they could just exchange them for GNR tickets - that way people who wanted to see Thin Lizzy and then leave would still get to see the band for the same price. Of course if this had happened people would have attempted to sell Thin Lizzy tickets for a GNR price...but they might have put a time frame on this or just realized GNR is underselling so dropping the price isn't the issue. I agree, there is no point in paying for Lizzy if you don't want to see GNR, but MCD obviously need to use these kind of scheming tactics to con people - essentially - into going

They'll do anything they can to stop me from being the only person in the arena

Do yourself a favor, save the money, Lizzy will tour soon again and you'll get some good choices of where to see them. Its a bitch but you know TL will be back again soon.

sp_1411_clip05.jpg?width=480

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I don't see why MCD would have to accommodate those who bought Thin Lizzy tickets with entrance to Guns N' Roses. If Thin Lizzy aren't headlining, it's a different concert.

While it was the band's decision to shift the schedule around in order to support Guns N' Roses, MCD probably played a part in the cancellation or postponement of the August Olympia gig. The band probably announce a headline gig for the Winter once the Guns N' Roses gig has been played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

There's one reason why they did this. More money for less hassle. They'd be sure of the revenue by supporting such a popular band rather than risking unknown sales by going their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

chin_grin wrote:
    There's one reason why they did this. More money for less hassle. They'd be sure of the revenue by supporting such a popular band rather than risking unknown sales by going their own.

I'm sure a gig in The Olympia would sell fine, it's more a case of not wanting to turn down the opportunity. Support slot now, headline gigs later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

magentas wrote: »
    I think Lizzy are doing a dis-service to themselves by selling out their own headline gigs to support them.

With all due respect Thin Lizzy are doing a disservice to the name by simply existing in there current form full stop. I love Lizzy, but it would never even cross my mind to bother my arse to see them in concert now.

Funny that there doing this to support another joke of a band that shouldnt exist in its current form either.

Advertisement