Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Chemistry???? Help!

Options
  • 09-04-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I am completely ,absolutely freaking out. I don't even know why I chose chemistry as I don't need it for college.
    I and most of my class failed the mock, which is horrible as in fifth year I was doing pretty well, (a's and b's). I do higher lever and don't want to drop, but I just don't know if I can get an honour in it at this stage.
    How's everyone else finding chemistry??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Story of my life right here! I loved chemistry in 5th year and now it's without competition my least favourite subject - I got 17% in it in the mock.
    For June I'm just going to learn Organic Chemistry, Atomic Theory, Equilibrium and all the experiments and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xcorina

Organic chemistry seems to make up all of the paper it's ridiculous! we haven't even done water yet. Atomic theory isn't too bad but i can never get the scientists right D:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Well this the general trend of questions that come up on the paper:

1. Titration experiments with calculations(Usually similar questions asked each year i.e, indicator change,colour change etc....

2. Organic practicals(Not too bad mainly theory I think)

3. All the other experiments

4. Short questions(Things like atomic theory,balancing formulas and variety of other question come up)

5. Question 5 is usually atomic strcture,the periodic table,chemical bonding,and things like boiling points and electronegativity

6. Fuels and heats of reactions(Bits of general organic chem thrown in aswell)

7. Normally chemical equilibrium and organic chemistry appear here)

8. Water hardness and treatment,sewage treatment,Acids and bases,PH/Indicators and rates of reaction

9. Normally question 8 and 9 are mixed up

10. Usually a mixture of questions that can be asked in Q.8 and Q.9 but normally oxidation numbers may feature here)

11. Radioactivity,properties of gases,mixture of water questions and Ph.Also you option is here

Well,hope that helps a bit :D I got a D3 in my mock and want a B3 so have been working fairly hard and if you need anything just ask anyways! In same situation as you but trying my hardest...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

I got an A2 in the mock so i hope what I have to say is some help. Your main problem is probably the fact that you don't understand what your trying to learn. Like 33% of the exam is roughly definitions so I'd suggest making a list of all the defs on the course (tedious I know) but it seriously helps, look at them for 15 mins every day and within a few weeks you'll know them word perfect. Then the next issue to tackle is probably calculations, they usually make up 30-40% of the exam every year so there is no avoiding them. But remember, there never gonna put something on that isn't covered in the course. So, there is a series of steps for each type of calculations, LEARN THESE. This is the only way, for example, for the water of crystallistion calculation, you get moles per litre, then grams per litre of Na2CO3, then you make sure that the grams given at the beginning is in litres, if not multiply it by either 2 or 4 depending to get it to Grams per litre. Then take that from the grams of Na2CO3 you just found and get the % of water crystallisation. Then set up a cross multiply situation between % and RMM of water and sodium carbonate. And voile! It gets easier once you know steps. And as for the rest, learn experiments, they're vital, its not how you did them its why you carried out each step, thats what you need to learn. If your aiming for a high grade, aim to answer the 3 experiment questions as they are generally straighforward. Then probably Q4 as there is choice, Q5 as its just learning, Q6 as its pretty easy. So thats 6 questions. Then next two are up to what comes up on the day I guess, Equilibrium is a good choice and possibly Q10 as there is good choice! I hope this helps some bit....

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Yeah if you're looking to things to study this late in the year I'd say:

Q1 Learn them all, focus on the water titrations, % crystallisation. Learn your procedures for filling burette, pipette, etc and reasons for doing so (easy marks) Marks are generally divided evenly between : General Procedure, Calculation and experiment specific questions( indicator colour change etc) For % crystallisation a little tip I've found is to work out the X in the formula first. This is usually a whole number(8.5 once) so it will give you a good indication if you're on the right track.

Q2 Again learn them all with specific attention to ones that haven't come up in a while. Know your limiting reactant/% yield calcs

Q6 Fairly easy question. Know octane number def, factors that increase number, techniques to improve(dehydrocyclisation, reforming, cracking) etc. Know how to do Hess' Law calcs they are easy once you get the hang of them(always remember to multiply/change the sign of your heat changes)

Q4 Just literally go through all of the questions. They tend to repeat alot of them. I don't know how good this question would be for you at this stage if you haven't done that much work.

Know your two types of Equilibrium question, oxidation numbers, pH calcs, and water/sewage treatment.

That would be my advice for late stage cramming.. As you can see this doesn't make up 6 questions so you'll have to decide for yourself!

If you have any chem questions feel free to PM me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

I got an A2 in my mock and I think it's managable once you know where to start. The experiments are predictable, look through the papers and then do the questions relevant to each one that hasn't been up in a while. Q5 is just a theory question, personally I like that side of chemistry so I find it easy! Chemical Equilibruim and Rates of Reation come up every year!! (open to correction) Look through your papers and see what they ask on them, it doesn't change too much so you should be fine! Then it's just organic chem, there's alot to it and sometimes it can be tricky but I'd know the diagram of all the reations inside out, it's so helpful! Then there are the other chapters which of course should be done but whats above is the main body of the exam! Hope this helped somewhat! Oh and definitions! One of the most important elements of the paper, can be tedious to learn but I use Anki, u can download it online. It's like flashcards on your laptop! :D

Advertisement