Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matsubayashi Shorin-Ryu

Options
  • 09-04-2012 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

There is a local club starting up and I was going to enroll my kids.What do people think of this style of Karate?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Sounds like masturbation with shorin-ryu after it, so I'd avoid. What type of karate does Lyoto Machida practise? Go for that one I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Sounds like masturbation with shorin-ryu after it, so I'd avoid. What type of karate does Lyoto Machida practise? Go for that one I'd say.

He's asking an honest question about where to send his kids, either cop on and give a proper answer, or go find somewhere else to act the maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

AH is that way >>>>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

It might help if you said a bit about what you want your kids to get out of the class.

It might help if you said a bit about what you want your kids to get out of the class.

I always think of Martial Arts as a confidence building exercise.My daughter is very meek and I think she would benefit from Karate.For my son it would be a self confidence thing as well but also the ability to defend himself, if necessary, in later life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

Ronin247 wrote: »
    I always think of Martial Arts as a confidence building exercise.My daughter is very meek and I think she would benefit from Karate.For my son it would be a self confidence thing..

Well certainly Karate will help with confidence naturally once you get a proper nurturing club. With competition whether it be Kata - on the mat performing the set sequnce of movement, or Kumite - facing off against an opponent one on one; they'll be able to build confidence as they can see how they're improving each time they compete as everything is scored.
    ..as well but also the ability to defend himself, if necessary, in later life.

A lot of Karate clubs are sport oriented, which I personaly dislike, and while feats of gymnastic ability are great skills to aquire they're not great in a fight per say. A lot of the smaller movements found in the Kata are more suited to proper fighting, so if you find a club that goes through the Bunkai (breakdown) of each kata movement and it's use/purpose then that'd be more suited to your goals for your son & daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭tritium

There is a local club starting up and I was going to enroll my kids.What do people think of this style of Karate?
    As a matter of interest where is the club op? There used to be a Shorin Ryu club in Athlone and when I trained there I found it a very enjoyable style. Not quite as static as shotokan or the more mainstream styles with a very practical approach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I saw some of this in Okinawa, it's worth trying out. It's an offshoot of a very old Okinawan style, and thus can be very traditional (this can be good or bad, depending on your point of view!)

Just on a pedant point, it's generally referred to as just 'matsubayashi-ryu' in Okinawa. 'Matsubayashi shorin-ryu' is a bit of a misnomer, as 'matsubayashi' is just an alternative pronunciation of the same kanji as 'shōrin' ('松林', meaning 'pine forest').
    tritium wrote: »
    Not quite as static as shotokan

If you think shotokan is 'static', you must have been going to crappy clubs. Also, Lyoto Machida would like a word with you out back... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

In my opinion the Okinawan styles of Karate are one of the Original forms of the great art of Karate. My old Kung Fu teacher Yang Jwing Ming always preached that the Okinawan Style came from White Crane Kung Fu of which he is a Master and that they emphaised circular movements instead of linear attacks.

If I were you i would enter my kids in the class and see how they get on. Take into consideration - if they/you like the instructors, do they have fun, when they get older is the option their to compete in local competitions & international competitions. Can you join in the adults class?

Thanks for all the replies. As I live in the countryside there are a limited number of options without driving 40 miles each way but at least I now feel that this is a style that people know of and like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement