Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish in UK 2012

Options
  • 08-04-2012 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

I'd take this as a notice of intent by Ashley Giles re. Rankin's availability.
    http://www.irishcricket.org/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You mean the "We will need to manage this to ensure that it doesn't become a regular occurrence" comment? Im not sure what Giles can do about it tbh; international cricket comes first, for important games anyway.

I can understand his frustration though; Warwickshire have lost both Rankin and Woakes for probably the first couple of months of the season, both of whom would almost certainly have opened the bowling. Its a big blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

On the subject of Irish bowlers in gthe UK. Young Dockrell did a nice job taking 8 for in the county championship opener for Somerset.

Kudos young George great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

djimi wrote: »
    international cricket comes first, for important games

im not sure thats accurate for Irish players, most counties need arm twisting to release players for our games.

HonalD wrote: »
    im not sure thats accurate for Irish players, most counties need arm twisting to release players for our games.

Im not really sure what kind of say Ireland have over the counties tbh, but for the internationals against the full test nations I imagine the counties have little choice but to release the players? Not so sure about the IC Cup games, although seeing as how they are accompanied by ODIs which are considered to be world cup qualifiers Id say Ireland have a good case to argue for the release of the players?

Im not really sure what kind of say Ireland have over the counties tbh, but for the internationals against the full test nations I imagine the counties have little choice but to release the players? Not so sure about the IC Cup games, although seeing as how they are accompanied by ODIs which are considered to be world cup qualifiers Id say Ireland have a good case to argue for the release of the players?

I think we have a significantly higher opinion on the merits of playing for Ireland. The ECB definitely still Have us in the bargain bin.

• Advertisement

Youre probably right to be honest. Its sort of a catch 22 situation; obviously I want as many of the squad available any time Ireland plays, but at the same time I want as many of the squad as possible playing county cricket, and we dont want the counties turning their back on the Irish players because they could miss parts of the season playing for Ireland.

Youre probably right to be honest. Its sort of a catch 22 situation; obviously I want as many of the squad available any time Ireland plays, but at the same time I want as many of the squad as possible playing county cricket, and we dont want the counties turning their back on the Irish players because they could miss parts of the season playing for Ireland.

Its a shame that our players cannot be guaranteed release for ODI internationals. I'd understand a club blocking ICC matches or WC qualifiers for example. Thankfully, the UAE competition was out of season.

D3PO wrote: »
    On the subject of Irish bowlers in gthe UK. Young Dockrell did a nice job taking 8 for in the county championship opener for Somerset.

Kudos young George great stuff.

Dockrell is looking like a world class bowler. Hopefully for years to come for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

HonalD wrote: »
    Dockrell is looking like a world class bowler. Hopefully for years to come for Ireland.

How many world class spinners have England? Actually change that to Test class. The cupboard looks bare as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

The qualification period has been changed.

Presumably this won't affect Dockrell but would affect Rankin, though the ECB do give themselves a caveat or 2.
    The ECB today announced that the regulations defining qualification for England male cricketers have been amended with immediate effect.

The key provisions are as follows:

All players who are already qualified for England will remain so - provided they continue to meet the existing regulations.

All players who begin residence in England or Wales before their 18th birthday will need to complete a residence period of four consecutive years.

Players who begin residence in England or Wales after their 18th birthday will need to complete a residence period of seven consecutive years. *

* At the ECB’s discretion, this provision can be reduced to four years for those players who have come to England and Wales from non-ICC full member countries or commenced residency in England and Wales before April 25 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Graeme McCarter made his debut for Gloucs on the TV at Lords today in the Pro40. Talk about been thrown in at the deep end!

He was a bit expensive but took 3 wickets and was entrusted with bowling the final over in which he conceded just the 1 boundary. Looks a promising player.

Stirling made a decent 25 in the same game.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

McCarter is in the squad for the 4 day game against Lancashire

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Haha McCarter hits a 14 ball 29 on debut!! Get him opening!!!!!

John Mooney is on trial with Sussex for 3 weeks with a view to a t20 contract

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Joyce with a 94 ball century and scoring 102(98) in the end. While Porterfield got 81(80)*

While Dockrell got 2-32 from 7 and nearly helped Somerset home with 18(26) and McCarter continued his impressive start with 3-15 from 4.3 overs...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Eoin Morgan gets a ton off 49 balls today, the fastest century of the English domestic season

Sterling hit 119 off 99 balls in the same game.

I really wish Morgan had chose to stay in England this summer rather than heading off to the IPL. If he serious about having a test career then he needs to show some form in the Championship for Middlesex (and also spend a lot of time working on his technique in the longer form of the game). Heading off to play Twenty20 in India does not show much commitment to his test career unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ Dodgy

Sterling hit 119 off 99 balls in the same game.

I really wish Morgan had chose to stay in England this summer rather than heading off to the IPL. If he serious about having a test career then he needs to show some form in the Championship for Middlesex (and also spend a lot of time working on his technique in the longer form of the game). Heading off to play Twenty20 in India does not show much commitment to his test career unfortunately.

As I understand it, those IPL contracts have very little wriggle room in terms of getting out once signed up. There is, no doubt, serious money involved also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Somerset have made an offer for Rankin. With KoB and Dockrell there already they might be more understanding when it comes to Ireland duties.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/counties/9441563/Somerset-make-a-formal-approach-for-Warwickshire-pace-bowler-Boyd-Rankin.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Eoin Morgon hit 120 not out off 80 balls for Middlesex in a CB40 game yesterday

Link

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Boyd Rankin is finished with Ireland then. Not a surprise, will probably be good for England in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Is he eligible to play straight away (having played for the Lions side) or does he have to wait 4 years? If he has to wait 4 years from now will England want him when he's 32?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Rascasse wrote: »
    Is he eligible to play straight away (having played for the Lions side) or does he have to wait 4 years? If he has to wait 4 years from now will England want him when he's 32?

As far as I know as he is Irish and wont have played test cricket before and also has spent the last few years playing county cricket in enlgand he can play immediately. I am nowhere near certain of that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mary Earnest

Andrew Balbirnie made his debut for Middlesex in the County Championship v Surrey last week. Didn't set the world on fire: 18 (1st innings) and 3 bat/ 24 for 0 off 8 overs bowl (2nd innings). Still a rare but getting more common achievement for an Irishman. Hopefully there will be better scoring days ahead for the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

dirtyden wrote: »
    As far as I know as he is Irish and wont have played test cricket before and also has spent the last few years playing county cricket in enlgand he can play immediately. I am nowhere near certain of that though!

yeh i think he can play straight away if selected as he should meet residency qualification at this stage. If he wants to play again for Ireland after playing for england he'll have to wait 4 yrs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Niall O'Brien is off to Leicestershire from Northants. He was very popular in Northampton regardless of what his form was like. Hopefully he will be just as popular up the road in Leicester.

Northants are trying to cut the wage bill I think.

The other problem there was that the new coach had been working with the youths at brought in Murphy to keep ahead of him

Advertisement