Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry/Londonderry and NIR

Options
  • 08-04-2012 9:07pm

There's an article in today's Sunday Life, don't have it to hand, reporting an incident in Belfast GVS where a Translink conductor refused to sell someone a ticket to Derry, claiming that he could have if the passenger asked for a ticket to Londonderry. :rolleyes: I remember an identical incident a few years ago involving Canadian tourists.

Regardless of what side of the divide you are on, if you work with the public you should be expected to act in a professional and courteous manner. I'd be firing someone for acting like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,301 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its fairly silly all right. While the station is called Londonderry, would he sell a ticket to Dublin or Belfast - there are no stations called Dublin or Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Coming from Derry and knowing everyone in Derry regards it as the same(regardless of any divide), I would call the conductor a sectarian bigot

Simple. And would have marched him and his sash to senior management .

Thats if the whole story is true. Hard to believe TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

..brings me back to the mid 1970's. Travelling to Butlins Mosney outta Colraine. Tension in the air..generally in them days.

(You know it seems to me that the Irish and previously British railways have been run by family dynasties).

Anyways, we are going to Dublin, and Colraine Station doesnt get or want, much business with Dublin back then, so this little jumped up vigilante clerk at Colraine starts askin me ma in a not too nice way...

"Why are you going to Dublin? What would you want to do there?". Not great customer service and a bit too invasive for my liking.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Last time I checked, Translink's website used whichever term you used on the search boxes - put in Derry and you got train/bus times to Derry; put in Londonderry and it used that... pity they can't get their staff to work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Sadly the story is true; I had it confirmed from a NIR staff member I know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement