Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pelican's Foot (was - Shellfish ID)

Options
  • 08-04-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭

My wife picked up thee three shells on Dollymount Strand today. Does anyone know the name of the shellfish they are from? I've never seen anything like these in Irish waters before. 10c coin for scale. Thanks.
    picture.php?albumid=1912&pictureid=12453

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Looks like Pelican's Foot snail shell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

tricky D wrote: »
    Looks like Pelican's Foot snail shell

Yes, I just googled that and I'd say you are right. Thanks.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yep, looks like a pelicans foot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aporrhais_pespelecani

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Not found often on the east coast, except at the Bull Island. Nice find

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

I have a notion that when I was child, you could only find these at Clogherhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

I can't see any photos or attachment :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

It's an old thread, the attachment has disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

europhile wrote: »
    I have a notion that when I was child, you could only find these at Clogherhead.

46+ years ago I collected a bucket (sand castle bucket) from the shore down by Clogher Cove.
    Never found anywhere else in 46 years of shore fishing!
    Doh can't post images...

Advertisement