Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing colleges ...TCD or UCD

Options
  • 08-04-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Law in TCD is 505 vs. Law in UCD 485.
    If one can achieve the higher points should that be put before the other?
    Are course necessarily better just because they have higher points, and therefore more demand or less places?

If anyone has any information about either places to study law could you please give me your opinions or advice on how to choose a college.

I'd also be interested to hear about anyone's experiences in studying business or economics in either of the colleges.

Both courses seem good to me, how can I diffrenciate them and choose the right college for me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

EDmon wrote: »
    Law in TCD is 505 vs. Law in UCD 485.
    If one can achieve the higher points should that be put before the other?
    Are course necessarily better just because they have higher points, and therefore more demand or less places?

If anyone can knows any information about either places to study law could you please give me your opinions or advise on how choose a college.

I'd also be interested to hear about anyone's experiences in study business or economics in either of the colleges.

Both courses seem good to me, how can I diffrenciate them and choose the rigt college for me?

Thanks.

Speaking as someone doing Engineering in UCD, choose the college not the course. I know two people who studied or are studying Engineering. One did his base degree in UCD and his Masters in Trinity. Loved UCD but doesn't like Trinity. Doesn't like the general feel of the place, the people or the location. Another is studying his base degree in Trinity but often says he wishes he was in UCD.

I'm not bashing Trinity, different strokes for different folks, but thats from my experience.

Points mean absolutely nothing about a course. Its purely based on demand and how many people a college can take in one course. So they can be artificially high and low by the same token. I can't remember exactly, but I got more than enough points to go to DIT, UCD or Trinity, and chose UCD. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't the highest.

Personally, I liked all the Eng courses but I preferred the feel of UCD. I just liked the place, the campus and the people. Not matter what people say, UCD and Trinity have a very different 'air' to them in my eyes, which doesn't suit everyone.

Remember in nearly all courses, across different universities, the course content has to be very similar. They have to be for international recognition and grading. The only differences may be more emphasis on certain aspects, for example in Eng it can be practical lab stuff and work experience etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Choose the college not the course. Have you been to the open days? If not go walk around the college campuses and get a feel for them, see which ones you prefer. If at all possible, see if your school can put you in touch with past pupils who are studying law in either college and get their experiences of their course and college.

I'm studying Commerce so send me a PM if you have any questions related to my course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sniedel

I'm doing law with politics in UCD at the moment, and one of my good mates is doing law in TCD. also, i'm on the trinity law facebook page for some reason so i get a good look at what they're up to. feel free to send me a message and i'll try and answer your questions.

Advertisement