Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coming off NRT - Patches - any advice???

Options
  • 08-04-2012 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭

So I have been on the patchers 3 months - 1st day without them tomorrow.
    I was on 15mg for 2 months and 10mg for the past month.

So I have been giving myself a little nicotine everyday, thus keeping the cravings at bay.

But as of tomorrow, I am alone.

Has anyone been in this position? If so, any advice for me? Like what to expect? Will it be like quitting all over again?

thanks in advance, S..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Sporina, I have every confidence in your ability to tackle this small last bit of the process of quitting.

I dont know how it goes coming off the patches but Id say go with the standard advice for a cold turkey quit, drink plenty of fluids and juices, get some exercise, eat regularly and snacks in case your blood sugars are a bit up and down, avoid caffeine and get plenty of rest.

I cant imagine its going to be too bad tbh, you have already gone through the hard part, this is only a tiny tiny bit at the end.

For me the psychological cravings were much much worse than any physical craving, and youve already beaten that.

3 days, thats all it takes to clear the nicotine from the system - youre nearly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I'd say you'll be grand. You've done the hard part.

I was using the e-cig to quit and started off on extra high nicotine and eventually went to low but after a night out I was too hung-over to use it and that was the end of it. I did buy the zero nicotine cartridges but I literally forgot to use them for 2 days so I would actually say that I didnt notice the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

So first day over without any nicotine - NRT or cig's. I didn't get any cravings which I am amazed by but perhaps they are in the post - only time will tell.
    3 months off the cigs today which is a milestone but I do not feel like celebrating because I feel I am still a bit vulnerable.

Youre doing great - sure you are THREE MONTHS off them - thats amazing! This is only a small thing with the patches - you'll be over it in no time.

Go you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks U123 but you know - i still have to beat the patches be nicotine free,,

so how long does it take to rid my body of nicotine? 3 days? i thought it was 3 weeks?? can't remember..

i am gonna get the niquitin lozenges for this weekend anyway,.. just in case…

• Advertisement

72 hours!!! Yippee dippee - you are nearly there!

After you clear it from your system there is a period where the receptors in the brain need to go back to normal (and not to the level they were at in response to getting a nicotine hit). Thats finished after 21 days. But you dont suffer for the 21 days. I didnt anyway. I only suffered for the 3 days or so, and then the habit quitting was what I suffered from, the associations, some dizziness that may have been anxiety related, disturbed sleep etc...

Advertisement