Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Les Irlandais et La France-300 years of Military co-operation at Les Invalides Paris.

Options
  • 08-04-2012 6:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

This Easter weekend many thousands of French men, women and children - along with visitors of all ages from all over the world, will be visiting the outstanding French Army Museum at Les Invalides in Paris.

There is an exposition on Franco-Irish military co-operation over the past 3 centuries running in the Museum at the moment (until 29 April) and, having the good fortune to have a morning free on a wonderful Spring day in Paris last week I was able to take a few photos of the exposition and the museum which I would like to share with you this Easter Sunday morning. As the excellent section on the French Resistance is closed for improvements until next year I have added a few photos of locations of the Resistance in Paris.

I have added 2 of my favourite military marches- neither of which is strictly Irish but either of which would be great National Anthems if we ever want to change. Can you identify both marches?. (Hint- neither of the marches have probably ever been played by an Irish military band- or even British!).

Vive La France! Vive La Republique!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxn-9O-BC2M&feature=g-upl&context=G2ce4b0aAUAAAAAAAAAA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Some interesting photos. I was surprised to see photos of Irish soldiers in the First World War included in their exhibition. Surely as the Irish regiments were actually part of the British Army it couldn't truly be classed as Franco-Irish cooperation? I don't think the Gurkhas fighting alongside the US Marines in Helmand would be classed as Nepalese-American cooperation for instance unless they were specifically the forces of the Nepalese government.

Good to hear St Patrick's Day too - quick march of the Irish Guards and my favourite march of all!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 timhorgan

bwatson wrote: »
    Some interesting photos. I was surprised to see photos of Irish soldiers in the First World War included in their exhibition. Surely as the Irish regiments were actually part of the British Army it couldn't truly be classed as Franco-Irish cooperation? I don't think the Gurkhas fighting alongside the US Marines in Helmand would be classed as Nepalese-American cooperation for instance unless they were specifically the forces of the Nepalese government.

Good to hear St Patrick's Day too - quick march of the Irish Guards and my favourite march of all!

Thanks, B,

Good point.
    One of the narratives included Kipling's poem on the Irish Guards in a French translation which refers to "having the honour to face the Brigade of Guards at Fontenoy and now, once again fighting on behalf of France" (this is a rough translation from memory).

But I think your point has been very cleverly covered by the title of the exposition

Les Irlandais et La France.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 timhorgan

The first March is
    San Patricio- En la Mañana del Día de San Patricio.

This is the official March of the Armada Argentina - Argentine Navy and the arrangement is of course in honour of Admiral William Brown, the Irishman who founded the navy. think it it much better than any other arrangement I have heard.

Chant des Partisans.

After La Marseillaise this is probably the next song most French schoolchildren know by heart. The lyrics pull no punches and it is great to hear French school choirs belting it out on Bastille day. This version - by the band of the Lille Infantry Regt.- is bit slow. This really rousing version by Mireille Mathieu is great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IbtHlvLXv4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

nice to see it, thanks for posting !

Advertisement