Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many topics for applied maths?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

There are 10 questions where you must answer 6. I recommend doing 8 questions including Uniform Accelerated Motion and Newton's Laws as these are needed in some way throughout other questions.

The trickiest question can often be question 1 on Uniform Accelerated Motion so many students leave this out but as I said a knowledge of the topic in question 1 is vital for use in other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Almost everyone does questions 1-5 and 10, and rightly so. Q10, Q5, Q4, Q3 and Q2 are all very handy questions. But, Q1 can be a bitch, therefore I think your best option is to do Q8, moments of inertia. (Well I'm pretty sure it's Q8..). This is another handy question as part (a) is just a proof and there's only 3 you need to learn while the part (b)s are usually easy to pick up marks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I recommend doing 8 or 9 if you have the time. Most people do 1,2,3,4,5 and 10 but last year I did 4,5,6,7,8,10, and 6,7 and 8 were much easier than 1,2,3 in my opinion. Statics is grand once you get used to taking moments and manipulating the formula. SHM and circular motion can be tricky, but again practice makes perfect and sometimes the questions can be very easy, like a statics question with one more formula. Moments of inertia seems hard when you're doing the topic, but the questions are always a proof, and part (b) usually just requires applying the conservation of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

im doing Q's 1,2,3,4,5 and 10 and might do the inertia question aswell i think its 8. I just hope that Q 1 is alright sure lets see

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Q1,2,3,4,5 and 10 for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Q1 is difficult? Am I missing something? I think Q1, 3 and 10 are the easiest on the paper.

I've covered 7 questions (1-6 and 10). Might end up not answering Q2 on the day, I'm just terrible at it. I'll definitely only have time for 6 questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

I think I'll be doing a combination of Q1,2,3,4,5,7,8,10. They're the topics we've done. Q1 and 7 are my iffy ones so I might leave these out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

Am I the only one on boards who didn't do 8?!

Everything but 8 is on the tables for me, I just don't like Statics.

Advertisement