Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting 2nd year Chemical Physics

Options
  • 07-04-2012 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Im coming up to my final year exams in physics with astrophysics in ucc. Im seriously considering chemical physics next year. just wondering what is it like? My chemistry is pretty stong and as regards my physics, i guess i didn't put as much time as i should have into it as some parts as they bored me a little, but i was really interested in thermodynamics and electricity, probably my two strongest areas along with continuum mechanics. Loved quantum but no one ever fully knew what was going on. Im led to believe these are the main aspects ill be dealing with? Also rather curious about the maths modules, im not gloriously failing any of the first year modules but im not too fond of them. I guess im really just wondering what to expect. Like hours, work load, difficulty and that sort of thing. I hear its heavy in lab work which is great, but i have a nasty feeling about what the lab reports will be like. And i guess any input on job prospects would also be welcome :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 AoifeL91

In 3rd year myself..you sound very like I did in first year! It's heavy in lab work alright which is good but there have been times in the last 2 years when it gets a bit much. It is a great course to have, though it can be difficult at times because of timetabling issues as it is such a small class. As for job prospects I would be feeling quite good about it. Anyone I've talked to about in the areas seem to think the combinations are great and it's a very useful course. I'll be working in Tyndall for the summer myself and the person I will be under was very impressed with the range of modules. I would really recommend the course because even though it does seem crazy tough at times it is definitely worth it in my eyes anyway! As regards the maths modules, I didn't exactly sail though first year either but have been getting on quite well in any I've had to take since! Any other questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Derp

Working in Tydall? That sounds wicked! I guess if its worth doing it will be tough! Something that ive been wondering about also would be the physics modules. I i hear electrostatics and magnetostatics is pretty off the walls difficult. That and quantum mechanics. I didn't really click with the lecturer for it. I kinda got the jist of most of what he was saying but it was all just kinda thrown in there and then come pen to paper, some if it starts to get fairly dodge. Having solid knowledge of chemistry kept me afloat, but its still as hard as it is interesting. Is there any sort of rehash in second year? kinda hoping as is its on its own as a module things will be done clearer. And i suppose now that i think of it, are there physics lab exams in 2nd year and what are they like?
    Thank you very much for the reply, its so hard getting information on it, most people have never even heard of the course (as im sure you are aware of)! :/

Haha oh I'm more than aware that a lot of people don't even know it exists! yeah the electro and magnetics stuff is pretty woeful I won't lie to you but everyone is in the same boat bar the one or two frighteningly smart people in the class ;) Almost everyone finds it difficult but we still pass and get through it so I wouldn't let it worry you. First year quantum is very weird. I'm not sure who you will have had but when I did it we had the head of department and he did things that were so beyond us we barely even touched on it in 2nd year. The second year quantum mechanics isn't actually that bad at all! Realistically not a whole lot that is done in first year is massively useful afterwards but almost eveything you will need for future modules is either touched on again or you're told exactly what you need from previous courses! With Chemical Physics you only do physics labs in 2nd term and theres no exam you do an in class presentation instead thats worth the same amount as one lab report! From the sounds of things you sound like you were in the same boat as I was in first year and it has worked out for me so far anyway, like I said getting on grand and I do enjoy it! Big workload too just as a prewarning for you, we got a bit of a shock in second year :P and ask away if you have another questions about it..I like telling people about the course cos I'd love for it to be more popular! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Derp

wow, i was bricking it for quantum and the maths, but thats grand! was told that second year would be heavy enough and that from 3rd year on id have no life, but thats cool too i guess, considering how unique and versatile a chemical physics degree would be. loved physics in leaving cert and was indifferent to chemistry, then chemistry got significantly more awesome, so this is sounding great! can't really think of much more off the top of my head, but thanks, this has been a huge help and has really put my mind at ease :) id say there will be about 4 of us give or take for next year from what ive gathered, still small but its sparking more interest! although i quite like the idea of a smaller class! :P

Well I'm really glad you're feeling better about it! I was the same with Chemistry and physics for the leaving cert! and 4? ah thats great! bigger than the other years anyway! :P Good luck in the exams and just pm me or whatever if you have anymore questions! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement