Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTML5

Options
  • 07-04-2012 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

I'm about to work on a new site soon and I'm wanting to code it in HTML5, do older browsers handle HTML5 well? What should I be aware of when coding the site for older browsers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

NO..

Old Browsers do not Support HTML 5.

Check out w3schools.com for info on what each browser supports and doest not Support,

Opera Seems to be the one that Offers the most on HTML 5.

If you want to use HTML 5 and then get some Jquery plugins which would work along side of the HTML 5 coding and that would offer older Browsers to support some Jquery. IE Placeholder does work on Firefox, Opera and Chrome but does not Work on IE 8 or 9 , Safari so you would need a placeholder plug in that will allow the HTML 5 code to work in those Browsers

If you are creating a web site make sure you get your W3C icon, and place it at the end of your site, So if anyone Rings up and tell you your site is not working, you could just tell them see that w3c Icon that means my site is working go update your Browser..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You can use the html5 doctype on browsers such as IE6, and some features will work out of the box (data attributes will work, and can be gotten through getAttribute). The big problem will be with new tags and some of the new APIs. There are shims, which are workarounds to get some features working, but you will have trouble getting 100% compliance. The HTML5 spec is not finished yet anyway, so no browser truly supports it anyway.

I think the lad above is on crack from reading this, and previous posts.

I would suggest you use the html5 doctype
    <!DOCTYPE html>

And just use HTML4 tags with aria attributes for added semantic value. You can feature detect for HTML5 features and provide fallbacks for browsers which don't support them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Im on Crack ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

The key word here is graceful degradation. Make sure it falls back and still works, without the bells & whistles for older browsers and doesn't fail completely.

This might help:
    http://html5please.com/

Advertisement