Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT UK 2012

Options
  • 07-04-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've only been seriously thinking of GEM in the last few weeks (despite a nagging wish for years).

As I've missed the chance to sit the Irish GAMSAT for a year and as I think I need a reality check about whether I should really pursue this, I think it would be a good idea for me to sit the UK GAMSAT in September. It will be a practice for GAMSAT Ireland next Spring as well a check on whether I really am suited to this, and maybe I might even do well enough on it to get in!

Of course, I would need a pretty excellent score in September to be sure enough of getting in to decide to skip the Irish exam next year!

I have a strong but rusty science background as well as in communications, so I think I have the basics. But, I don't want to spend the next 12 months wondering, waiting and studying without some indication I can make it, hence sitting the UK exam sooner as a reality check and I'm willing to spend the money for this.

Can someone just confirm that doing the UK GAMSAT is fully accepted for getting in to Irish colleges? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing it in the UK or is it really just the same thing?

I'm a little unclear how the scoring works though: is it simply the numerical score that counts? I.e. if I get say 62 in the UK and the threshold in Ireland next year is 62 then I'm in? It doesn't matter that I sat a different exam to most Irish applicants? What makes me uncertain is that I see something about the scoring curve being a little different each year, so is is just luck of the draw if one exam is slightly easier or if the standard of student is different?

Anyone else planning to go over to the UK in September? Registrations open in June apparently.

Any suggestions as to where to do it or any practical considerations or experiences?

Any interest in a Dublin study group to prepare for September? Even occasional get-togethers might be really useful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

All the answers you're looking for have been discussed before if you do a search on this board. I did it in London in 2009. Aside from location it's the exact same as the Irish sitting - there's no difference regarding application to Irish colleges whether you've a UK or IE (or AUS) sitting and yes, it's only the numerical score which matters. Others in my class sat it in quieter UK locations but London's fine, though very busy which was a bit intimidating. I stayed in Wigram House (Uni of Westminster accommodation) which is a five minute walk from the venue, unless it's changed. It's basic but was cheap and did the job! Scoring is standardised each year though the curves may look slightly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 JakeZ

pc11 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've only been seriously thinking of GEM in the last few weeks (despite a nagging wish for years).

As I've missed the chance to sit the Irish GAMSAT for a year and as I think I need a reality check about whether I should really pursue this, I think it would be a good idea for me to sit the UK GAMSAT in September. It will be a practice for GAMSAT Ireland next Spring as well a check on whether I really am suited to this, and maybe I might even do well enough on it to get in!

Of course, I would need a pretty excellent score in September to be sure enough of getting in to decide to skip the Irish exam next year!

I have a strong but rusty science background as well as in communications, so I think I have the basics. But, I don't want to spend the next 12 months wondering, waiting and studying without some indication I can make it, hence sitting the UK exam sooner as a reality check and I'm willing to spend the money for this.

Can someone just confirm that doing the UK GAMSAT is fully accepted for getting in to Irish colleges? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing it in the UK or is it really just the same thing?

I'm a little unclear how the scoring works though: is it simply the numerical score that counts? I.e. if I get say 62 in the UK and the threshold in Ireland next year is 62 then I'm in? It doesn't matter that I sat a different exam to most Irish applicants? What makes me uncertain is that I see something about the scoring curve being a little different each year, so is is just luck of the draw if one exam is slightly easier or if the standard of student is different?

Anyone else planning to go over to the UK in September? Registrations open in June apparently.

Any suggestions as to where to do it or any practical considerations or experiences?

Any interest in a Dublin study group to prepare for September? Even occasional get-togethers might be really useful.

hey man I'm interested in meeting up. have loads of practice done and have got some sample papers that i want to do under exam settings!. need motivation from others tho!!

Advertisement