Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What flue liner to use?

Options
  • 07-04-2012 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Finally getting around to lining my chimney, had fire end of September, so should be reasonably clean, but have had fires since. Now can you please tell me again exactly what type of flue liner I require, It is a very old chimney and no liner what so ever.
    I still cannot decide on stove no rads, need about 6.5 kws. Sorry to bother you again especially as you were so helpful thus far. Thanking Stove Fan in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Using an existing old chimney to vent a new stove is common enough. Your chimney sounds like the oldest type with no liner at all. Firstly, regardless of how clean it is it will need to be cleaned before the liner is put in. The flexible liner is probably the one which will be recommended, talk it over with the stove supplier and installer.

The flexible liner is usually taken up the chimney and secured at the top with a cowl, if this is the case the area between the flue and the old inside chimney wall will need to be ventilated separately.

http://www.fluebay.com/flue-lining-kits/6m-8-flexible-multifuel-flue-liner-pack-for-stove.html the flue liners come in varying diameters, again you need to speak to the stove supplier and installer for advice here. The model shown is just for illustration purposes and your stove supplier should give you a better deal than the price shown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You need a twin walled stainless steel flexi flue liner.

Make sure the arrows on the flue liner point UPWARDS when installing the liner,as this is vital for the performance and durability of the flexi flue liner.
    If the outlet on the stove is 5 inches,then use a 5 inch liner,if its 6 inches then use a 6 inch liner.

Regards.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭guinness queen

dThanks for all that but what I really want to know is why I ws recommended to use a ss 903/903 thickness, instead of a 316/316 or 316/903.
    the 903 is almost double the price and seems harder to find, whether because of extra cost. It has a 20 year guarantee as opposed to a 10 year fromthe 316.
    I have read some items but am still not really sure.
    I am almost sure stove fan recommended the 903, but cant find that post from autumn last year. Perhaps its a British Standard!!
    I am getting a builder to do the job for me. I would also like to leave the cast iron mantle in place.
    Many thanks again for all your help.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

How did this go for you in the end ? Just bought a MF stove and might just get flexi flue to run from the stove all the way to the top of my chimney ? Is it overkill ? The house is only 7 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭guinness queen

How did this go for you in the end ? Just bought a MF stove and might just get flexi flue to run from the stove all the way to the top of my chimney ? Is it overkill ? The house is only 7 years old.

I used the 904 x 904 flexi liner as the house is about 200 years old. I am not sure what is meant by venting it, the old flu which was cracked and only about 10 feet down had to be broken out of it before the new flexi liner was installed. I did not see any arrows so in it went in whatever direction.
    When it was installed the builder then filled up the space with vermicullite mixed with a quick drying cement as far as I know, a lot of vermiculte went into the space. then he put a 'cap' on it. there is no space whatsoever between the flexi flu and the chimney wall. The wall gets quite warm. Afterwards I was told I should have put a small pipe near top of liner like a copper pipe to let out excess heat. Anyway its not done, and the builder says he never heard of it. I ONLY HOPE THE CHIMNEY DOES NOT CRACK AS I GUESS THAT IS THE IDEA OF THE LITTLE VENT AT THE TOP MAYBE SOMEONE COULD EXPLAIN. THANKSpacman.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement