Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper solar panels

Options
  • 06-04-2012 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I'm considering adding solar panels to the camper but could do with some advice.

Firstly is something like this useful? Or is it only for keeping the starter and/or leisure battery topped up when not in use? I suspect the latter.
    Would this cheap kit be a good idea for when the camper is not in use? I suspect it would do the job nicely. I recently had to take my battery (starter) out of the camper and charge it for a few days. It was a pain in the ass to get out and bigger pain to get back in.

I have also seen kits like this which are 100w

Essentially I want to not be so reliant on campsites in order to have power. That said, my fridge is a regular fridge and needs 240v. Short of replacing it, I'm not sure if an inverter would work, I imagine it would either draw too much power or drain the battery very quickly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Hi,
    My camper wesn't designed to have a leisure battery so I fitted a solar panel on the roof, fed the cable throught one of the roof lights and connected it to a battery stored inside. I connected all the lights, bar one, and the cigarette lighter sockets to this battery and it works well for me for running clock radio, charging 'phone etc. Fridge and one light still connected to the main started battery. Never had any problems and it only needs daylight in order to charge. That we get plenty of. Sunshine? hmm.
    My main battery went flat on me a few days ago, so swapped it with the leisure which was fully charged by the panel, and the main one is now charged by daylight..
    I can't lay my hands on the paperwork for it at the moment but I think it is 40w.
    I bought it from Maplins uk. It was cheaper to buy from the uk and have them deliver than from Maplins Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

4w isn't worth a curse , it'd barely keep a motorbike battery topped up . I fit a fair few panels , normally about 70w plus , on a normal , not so sunny day , they give 2-4 amps . The most a 100watt panel can deliver , at full output is 100/12 = 8.33 Amps .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thanks for the info guys. You get what you pay for I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    4w isn't worth a curse , it'd barely keep a motorbike battery topped up . I fit a fair few panels , normally about 70w plus , on a normal , not so sunny day , they give 2-4 amps . The most a 100watt panel can deliver , at full output is 100/12 = 8.33 Amps .

So are you saying that a 100w panel would be good enough for a motorhome?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I saw that post by Aidan when searching the topic.

Thing is I won't be relying on it all that often. Just the odd festival where we'd be parked up for 3 days without moving.

On a side note, how effective is it to just leave the engine idling for say 30minutes. Would that be ebough to recharge the leisure battery ?

We don't run anything heavy off it. Just lights and the water pump occassionaly.

It's a Halfords 100ahr bought a months ago so in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

m8 wrote: »
    So are you saying that a 100w panel would be good enough for a motorhome?
    I am .

Swanner wrote: »
    IOn a side note, how effective is it to just leave the engine idling for say 30minutes. Would that be ebough to recharge the leisure battery ?

that's one of those questions that's hard to answer , it depends how low your battery is before you start the engine . And ideally , the mains or solar provides a "healthier" charge for a leisure battery . They prefer a slower , steadier charge , unlike a starter battery which takes a load of amps straight away .

Advertisement