Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casualties from the following counties

Options
  • 06-04-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

For WWi.
    I just thought you may be interested in the findings so far. The list below are the Great War Casualties for the counties below.
    Tom.

Carklow, 556.
    Clare, 663.
    Kerry, 696.
    Kilkenny, 747.
    Laois, 557.
    Limerick, 1306.
    Offaly, 661.
    Tipperary, 1421.
    Waterford, 1123.
    Westmeath, 776.
    Wexford, 1002.
    Wickow, 752.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Just as a clarification: by "Casualties" do you mean fatalities?

I think 10,000 "casualties from 12 counties is a bit low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Casualties meaning died or killed during the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Does not look low to me, the areas of higher recruitment, larger counties, and cities like Cork, Dublin,Down, Antrim, must have had at least 18,000-20,000 casualties between them.If you then include the other counties( estimated per county at an average of 800 casualties) you are gettiing a total number in the region of 43,000, not far removed from the oft mentioned 35,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

@enfield - just curious, where did you get the figures from?

From The War Dead Databases Project (for the 26 counties only), which uses all the available databases, including some privately compiled, ww1 books, regional newspapers specific to each county and Rolls of Honour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cormacocomhrai

enfield wrote: »
    For WWi.
    I just thought you may be interested in the findings so far. The list below are the Great War Casualties for the counties below.
    Tom.

Carklow, 556.
    Clare, 663.
    Kerry, 696.
    Kilkenny, 747.
    Laois, 557.
    Limerick, 1306.
    Offaly, 661.
    Tipperary, 1421.
    Waterford, 1123.
    Westmeath, 776.
    Wexford, 1002.
    Wickow, 752.

Hi Tom,
    a couple of questions regarding the figures. Are these figures people who died in the British Forces, British and Imperial Forces or All forces?

Does county mean place of enlistment or place of birth or home address?
    Thanks

This project was shut down four weeks ago and the databases put away, some of them sold. The years of apathy has taken their toll. It was not possible to continue without the support of the Government. The completed counties have been put away awaiting a more enlightened time.
    Thank you for your interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cormacocomhrai

This project was shut down four weeks ago and the databases put away, some of them sold. The years of apathy has taken their toll. It was not possible to continue without the support of the Government. The completed counties have been put away awaiting a more enlightened time.
    Thank you for your interest.

Sorry to hear that. It's not difficult to pick up on the disappointment in your post. Hopefully the upcoming anniversaries with lead to increased and improved scholarly research into the field and we'll get a greater understanding of who went, why, what happened to them, their relationship with Ireland and the revolution when they came back and who didn't come back. That should be of some compensation to you.
    All the best
    Cormac

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Uncle Fester

This link shows the casualtys from Co Kildare during WW I

Kildare Casualtys WW I

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

For WWi.
    Tom.

Carklow, 556.
    Clare, 663.
    Kerry, 696.
    Kilkenny, 747.
    Laois, 557.
    Limerick, 1306.
    Offaly, 661.
    Tipperary, 1421.
    Waterford, 1123.
    Westmeath, 776.
    Wexford, 1002.
    Wickow, 752.

Today is anniversary of the Somme.

At a ceremony in Cavan town the lost men from the county were remembered. A roll of honour for County Cavan shows 652 casualties lost in WWI. Mentioned in ceremony were many counties not shown in the quoted list that have had similar undertakings completed.
    Cavan, 652 can be added to above list although it is thought the actual figure will end higher.

• Advertisement
Advertisement