Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCSI Pharmacy

Options
  • 06-04-2012 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I'm thinking of doing pharmacy in RCSI next year and i am just wondering about accomodation. Does the RCSI have any campus accomodation or where do students usually live? Is there any area in dublin that mainly RCSI students live or is it just anywhere?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ciara84

http://www.mercercourt.ie do accom for RCSI and DIT students, you would also be okay anywhere on the green luas line, I live with my sister so I have it easy enough, if you want to look for your own accom, you could do worse than to look around stillorgan/sandyford etc, quite a few students from UCD live there as well and its a safe enough area of Dublin, I'm sure finding someone to share with wont be too hard, you should start looking around July/August on www.daft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lil2012

ele1992 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing pharmacy in RCSI next year and i am just wondering about accomodation. Does the RCSI have any campus accomodation or where do students usually live? Is there any area in dublin that mainly RCSI students live or is it just anywhere?

hey, I'm in 4th year pharmacy in RCSI at the moment. I lived in Mercer in first year. It's right behind Stephen's Green shopping centre. I absolutely loved it. It was mostly Canadian and American students living there, very few Irish, but that made it a better experience and it helped me settle into the college really quickly too. It's very expensive though, like double what you'll pay for accommodation elsewhere almost (I'm the oldest so my parents just didn't realise what was normal to be paying at the time!). A good few people in my class lived in Griffith in first year and Broadstone Accomodation is another popular place or NCI too, but I'd say you'd probably meet more people from RCSI in Griffith. Feel free to ask any more questions or anything about the course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ele1992

Thanks for both of your help. Does anybody have any idea to what the points will be like this year? I do honours maths and will have the bonus 25 points, will it go up by 25 points? Worried now because i really want to do it! Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Hi, I'm going into 3rd year this year!

CAO statistics back in 2010 showed that applications for Pharmacy were down so I assumed points would come down but they actually went up, which shows that there is absolutely no way of telling what's going to happen. I think final round offers were 530 that year and 535* last year. I get the feeling that those extra 25 points this year will push points for most courses up a bit, but it's hard to know. I imagine that it might go to 540-545, but probably no higher than that.

Best of luck tomorrow and on Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TheRebelette

heya just wondering what the split between girls/guys and irish/internationals is like? also how many are in the class??!! seeing as its so small is there much going on there with nights out good college clubs etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

heya just wondering what the split between girls/guys and irish/internationals is like? also how many are in the class??!! seeing as its so small is there much going on there with nights out good college clubs etc!

In my class of 52 (-ish, I think!), we have about a 25:75 split lads/girls. Around 25% are post-grad/mature students and we have about 6/7 international students... though the majority of those international students actually came in through the Leaving Cert route.

Generally speaking, most people managed a night out 2-3 times a week. The Pharmacy Society organise most of the official events for us. There'll be at least one on Fresher's Week, the Pharmacy Ball (BRILLIANT night :D) is at the end of the first semester in December and then there'll be a good few random nights during the year. The society are made up 6 people from my class this year, so great craic is pretty much guaranteed :D

There are lots of other societies that have regular nights out and then there's the Ballad Sessions twice a year, International Night, Chocolate Ball, Sports Ball etc. The college may be small but it doesn't mean we're not up for the craic :P

There's a fair amount of societies, with new ones starting up every year. There's something for everyone, pretty much!

If any new first years have any questions or want any more info on the course or the college, feel free to PM me. You'll all be assigned a buddy on orientation day too to show you around and help you settle in. It's a tough and stressful course, you'll want to tear your hair out at times but it's definitely enjoyable too! :)

Advertisement