Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Some old photos of my Uncle's cars..

Options
  • 06-04-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭

Something I thought I would share with like minded people. My Uncle (Dr Leslie Spivack) passed away 2 weeks ago on 28 March 2012. He like myself was into his cars and lived a life of enjoying them along with other hobbies. He raced in the 50's here in Ireland and always had an interesting car, at 21 he had a MGTD which he raced on weekends and drove as daily driver during the week and 1952 he bought a Jaguar XK120 he was 22 at that time and also raced it weekends. During his life time he had owned Aston Martin DB5, Porchce 911 Turbo remember it well in black, a number of Lotus's Elite, Elan's, 7's Fiat's Alfa's, MG's. oh I could go on and on. The last cars he owned at his time of passing was a Golf R32 and a TVR 5.0 Chimera. At 82 he still drove both like he had stolen them.
    Anyhow enough and here are some photos which I thought some of you would like to see. Mostly taken in Ireland and one or two in South Africa.
    Jaguar XK120 REG ZO 2259
    zo2259_1.jpg
    SpivackWicklow52.jpg
    SpivackTyrerWicklow52.jpg
    scan0011.jpg
    scan0010.jpg
    July1955LeinsterXK120s204.jpg
    img015.jpg
    img006.jpg
    img005.jpg
    img004.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

img003.jpg
    img002.jpg
    img001.jpg
    MGTD REG ZJ 9370
    scan0012.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    scan0008.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    leslie1.jpg

Other cars he had,
    img009.jpg
    img008.jpg
    img011.jpg
    img0122.jpg
    and South Africa
    img013.jpg
    img0132.jpg
    img014.jpg
    Both the Elan and 7 were his the 7 was built for him in the UK by Catherham and he shipped it to South Africa found memories of being in both of these.
    img0142.jpg
    For whatever reason a photo of his Fiat 124 sport reg 1016 ZD wont upload. Will add at a later date.
    Hope you enjoyed.

If anyone knows if any of these cars are still around would love to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Thanks for sharing

RIP

His last car at 82, TVR 5.0
    2008885.jpg
    2008886.jpg
    UncleLesliearriving.jpg

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Great stuff, did he race at the Phoenix park by any chance?

Yes he did, and i will post more photos from there later on...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Excellent stuff there Jack.
    RIP indeed, I can see where you got your petrol head from!

Excellent stuff there Jack.
    RIP indeed, I can see where you got your petrol head from!

lol between my Uncle and my Father I had no hope hey....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 damo244

May he rest in peace,he had great taste in cars,great photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TRNIALL

Hi Jack,good to see you made it Over and Back,all OK i hope.

You really bought back some Gems,those Photos are Brilliant,You should post them up on Octane as a lot of the Lads from Mondello hang out there,they wont remember anyone in the Photos but there Elders might and also give you some more Names of the other Drivers,Talk Soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Wow, what a collection of motors! No fear he ever had the temptation to tip around town in a Micra during his later years obviously.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Fab bit of history there can you tell me the photos with wicklow 52 on them i know one of them is from wicklow town, theres another one with the car near a cross roads and looks like conary near avoca just enquiring would you know all the locations?

patwicklow wrote: »
    Fab bit of history there can you tell me the photos with wicklow 52 on them i know one of them is from wicklow town, theres another one with the car near a cross roads and looks like conary near avoca just enquiring would you know all the locations?

Hi
    Wicklow 52 = 1952 he often spoke to me about Wicklow in general racing, there is loads more in boxes and I hope to have more info when we get to them. eg racing notes and more photos. I will update as I can...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

okistag wrote: »
    The last cars he owned at his time of passing was a Golf R32 and a TVR 5.0 Chimera. At 82 he still drove both like he had stolen them.

I just love this part! RIP and kudos to Okistag for sharing these with us. That red Elan is gorgeous.

Thanks all for the replys mean alot... very proud of him.

I was able to get the pphoto of his 124 sport which I know he like as had 3 I think... wonder if it or any of the cars are still around..

9e3b5a81.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Thanks for getting back i know it was 1952 just wondering what areas of Co,wicklow were the photos were taken as i think one photo looks very like were i am from .

Thanks for getting back i know it was 1952 just wondering what areas of Co,wicklow were the photos were taken as i think one photo looks very like were i am from .

Sorry Pat, just not with it at the minute. I will find out as there is loads of boxes with all sorts of info.. I would like to know myself.

Ashort old cine film from 1952 /3 Dundrud.. Leslie is in twice but only for moment..

Ok not sure what I am doing wrong in adding a youtube link but it is below now.. any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

What a cool uncle! I hope that at 82 im driving a R32....RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

There is a write up in the current Irish Vintage Scene magazine on the Wicklow Races. The startline was near where Tesco is now, turn right at the Grand Hotel, turn right at the Beehive and back down through Rathnew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SGrant911

Yes the photos feature the Wicklow Motor racing circuit in particular the railway bridge between Rathnew and Wicklow. A monument commerating the races was erected a few years back it is located on the left hand side of the road as you enter Wicklow Town on the main road from Rathnew just at the turn off for the county buildings and rail station. Much of the circuit still exists today. You can read further about it in The Wicklow Motor Races 1950 to 1957 by Joan Carvill ISBN 1-902773-14-4

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jaygile

what an incredible thread. thank you for sharing this with us, RIP he sounded like a great man (with great taste!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

what an incredible thread. thank you for sharing this with us, RIP he sounded like a great man (with great taste!)

Ditto - I wonder if the S African Granada was a Perana V8 conversion , it'd follow the trend of his great life. I think we all would hope to follow in his footsteps.:cool:

Capri wrote: »
    Ditto - I wonder if the S African Granada was a Perana V8 conversion , it'd follow the trend of his great life. I think we all would hope to follow in his footsteps.:cool:

Hi

Nope that was a 3.0 V6 Ghia Granada, Leslie also had a Red XR6 Sierra at one point. Thanks for all the smashing comments. Hope to find some more photos in a month or two when I am next over to my cousin I will share them also.
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭kindredspirit

Respect. (in capital letters)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Great thread Jack! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Loved those pics and what a great petrolhead to have had as a Dad. Must try out a Golf R32 some day soon - if he chose one they must be really quite special.

Advertisement