Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't get too excited.... Possible Spoilers

Options
  • 06-04-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭

WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Just read an interview with George RR Martin here from July 12th 2011.

These specific lines have crushed me:

So with the next book, have you now gotten to the point where you no longer need to have the characters in separate books?
    That is certainly my hope, yes. Three years from now when I’m sitting on 1,800 pages of manuscript with no end in sight, who the hell knows.

Which episode of Game of Thrones are you writing next season?
    The Battle of the Blackwater, God help me. David and Dan must hate me.

That’s the one where you have to be most conscious of budgetary decisions.
    It’s very tough because we don’t have the budget to do the battle in the book. We just don’t.

Well, they have to be able to show the ships and what happens to them, right?
    I hope so. We’ll see. I’m writing it. I’m cutting certain things. We’ll see once I turn it in if we can do it.

Seriously disappointed right now!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Expected as much. They would never have had the budget for it. They've been saying that since season one finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The first answer sounds like GRRM's sense of humour rather than an honest answer.

There's no way the Battle of the Blackwater could ever be filmed as described in the book, you'd need literally hundreds of ships and the budget to destroy most of them. I'd imagine it'll merely be a somewhat scaled down version of it or a CGI shot of all the ships with the rest of the action being caught from the narrow points of view of Tyrion and Davos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Its not all bad lads.
    The Blackwater episode, as the director puts it, “is pretty much one long battle, on a much bigger scale than anything in Centurion. I couldn’t believe the scale of production value I had. It was as big, if not bigger, than most features I’ve done: 400 extras, costumes, horses, stunts, fires… We had a full-size galleon to play with and a green-screen set that was doubling as several other ships, and we were setting that on fire and throwing people overboard. Then there’s a Saving Private Ryan-like beach battle, with all these guys getting shot to pieces, an attack on a castle.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Its not all bad lads.

Well, that's made things an awful lot better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Interview is obviously a piss take

• Advertisement
Advertisement