Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can IT check if someones been logging into my mail

Options
  • 06-04-2012 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

I think someone I know has been logging into my student mail. Im not great with computers to be honest, just wondering is there anyway the IT guys in ul would be able to check ip addresses perhaps of log ins on my computer? Or is this not possible?! Obviously changing my password was the main thing I would just like to know for sure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

yes they can

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    yes they can

And what can they tell from ip addresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 auldpooky

I would say it's because of ITDs email half an hour ago which said

h6AS6.jpg

auldpooky wrote: »
    I would say it's because of ITDs email half an hour ago which said

h6AS6.jpg

Sorry, I don't understand your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

If it's an external static address assigned by the isp then you would be able to get an address but it would entail going to the guards. This would be unlikely as most isp use dynamic ip adresses.

If it's an internal college ip they should be able to check which pc the address was leased to and if you have to login to use the computers then they should also be able to check who was logged into that pc at the time.

• Advertisement

ITD would be able to find out which IP addresses were the source of every login. From the IP addresses they can get the ISP of the internet connection. In the case of connections originating in UL, they can theoretically trace back to the computer that made the connection and infer a student ID.

In the case of outside of UL, they won't be able to find the owner of the IP address without the ISPs cooperation. Even then there's a load of ifs and buts.

If you think someone you know has hacked your email and you want proof this will probably not lead to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭barfizz

IT will not be able to tell you who has been logging into your mail.

since you are in UL, more than likely if someone has accessed your account, they are also in UL so the IP is no help.

The IT team will be able to tell you the last number of "logins" (dependent on system) and the times, if they do not correspond with your own memory of "login" times, then you may have an issue.

Change your password, make it a strong one, and don't be an idiot and share it.

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    ITD would be able to find out which IP addresses were the source of every login. From the IP addresses they can get the ISP of the internet connection. In the case of connections originating in UL, they can theoretically trace back to the computer that made the connection and infer a student ID.

In the case of outside of UL, they won't be able to find the owner of the IP address without the ISPs cooperation. Even then there's a load of ifs and buts.

If you think someone you know has hacked your email and you want proof this will probably not lead to that.

Thanks so much for that info, I really appreciate it! Just want to clarify this as I'm pretty stupid with computers ha they can get the ip address but this only tells them the Internet provider like eircom etc? I thought they could get a location/town perhaps?

[QUOTE=barfizz;77976904
    since you are in UL, more than likely if someone has accessed your account, they are also in UL so the IP is no help.

The IT team will be able to tell you the last number of "logins" (dependent on system) and the times, if they do not correspond with your own memory of "login" times, then you may have an issue.
    [/QUOTE]

The external IP will be a generic UL one but surely ITD can see behind the net of the proxy.

What i didn't factor in my previous reply is that the email is hosted by outlook/hotmail so maybe all they can tell you is the generic ul one e.g. 193.1.104.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

barfizz wrote: »

Would they not use an internal ip addressing system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭barfizz

Opinicus wrote: »
    Would they not use an internal ip addressing system?

not necessarily, most uni's have open IP's for access, unless a person has registered their mac address, there is no facility to track them.

but they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

ITD are idiots, resetting everyone's passwords to their DOB's...anybody quick enough could easily log into other peoples email if they so wanted,
    security fail of the highest order, could of least sent people some sort of random generated temp password

god knows the admin tony molloy is banging on about secure passwords often enough :mad:

Mine wasn't actually changed to my DOB though, I tried logging in with my dob to check before I changed it and it was still set to my old password?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

augusta24 wrote: »
    Mine wasn't actually changed to my DOB though, I tried logging in with my dob to check before I changed it and it was still set to my old password?

Mine was the same, but when you click on the link ITD sent out and change it, it wants your DOB as the Old Password.

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Mine was the same, but when you click on the link ITD sent out and change it, it wants your DOB as the Old Password.

Not for me, when I used the link it wasn't accepting my DOB as the old password I had to use my actual old passeird

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Not for me, when I used the link it wasn't accepting my DOB as the old password I had to use my actual old passeird

Haha, fair play to ITD then. they run a tight ship! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

ITD are n00bs

Stuxnet wrote: »
    ITD are n00bs

And they just totes got PWND by whatever happened the system. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

Stuxnet wrote: »
    ITD are idiots, resetting everyone's passwords to their DOB's...anybody quick enough could easily log into other peoples email if they so wanted,
    security fail of the highest order, could of least sent people some sort of random generated temp password

god knows the admin tony molloy is banging on about secure passwords often enough :mad:

the email password wasn't reset, just the password for logging onto UL domain, accessing SULIS and logging onto PC's other than CSIS etc

If the email password had been reset the majority of students wouldn't have been able to read the email from ITD...

I agree with you that they shouldnt have changed password to DOBs, but it would have probably taken too much time to setup sending new passwords to all students, and the only other way for us to reset our passwords would be going to the library and scanning our ID card, and most students are away from UL at the moment.

And more people would probably complain if they didnt have access to Sulis or exam papers during the weekend

• Advertisement

mid wrote: »
    the email password wasn't reset, just the password for logging onto UL domain, accessing SULIS and logging onto PC's other than CSIS etc

If the email password had been reset the majority of students wouldn't have been able to read the email from ITD...

That still means I could log in to some of my friends SULIS accounts and submit assignments for them and lose them marks in modules. C&S can send out random generated passwords when someone asks to reset theirs, why not ITD?

That still means I could log in to some of my friends SULIS accounts and submit assignments for them and lose them marks in modules. C&S can send out random generated passwords when someone asks to reset theirs, why not ITD?

Sulis passwords weren't changed either? I was still able to log in with my old password so what password exactly was changed to our DOB? Because it wasn't the si.ul.ie site either

maybe ITD don't have a process in place to do this and it would have took some time.

If it took them another 12 hours before sending out randomly generated passwords to 15,000 students, they would have a higher number of students complaining that they cant access notes, cant access exam papers etc.

compared to alternative: a small number of students, mainly CSIS, complaining about security

Sulis passwords weren't changed either? I was still able to log in with my old password so what password exactly was changed to our DOB? Because it wasn't the si.ul.ie site either

It may just have been the one for your PC account on campus.

www.si.ul.ie is not sulis if thats what you mean

The password for logging into library pcs, accessing sulis and past exam papers was changed

www.si.ul.ie is not sulis if thats what you mean

The password for logging into library pcs, accessing sulis and past exam papers was changed

No I know that's not sulis. I'm saying the password for sulis and si.ul.ie remained unchanged so it must just have been the password for the pc computers that changed?

Advertisement