Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judo Rules Question

Options
  • 06-04-2012 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Just following this thread: Pan Ams 2012 - Gentlemans Agreement and someone mentioned something which I had never heard before.
    lukeyjudo wrote: »
    Hell if you get choked unconscious in judo you get disqualified and aren't even allow medal regardless if you're for a silver medal or not.

Can anyone shed any light on this? If like stated I was in the olympic final and got choked out, do I forfeit my medal?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

I never heard it before i read that post myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭garrybergin

Hi guys,

Just read the post a can confirm that this is incorrect! I never heard of this before, but I thought it may have been a new rule, so doubted myself, so I called Ray Stears 5th Dan who is both my coach and one of the best referees in the country who confirmed that if you choke or strangle your opponent unconscious , it is nothing more than ippon to your you and if this is in the final/ semi final of a competition, both you and your opponent can medal

But only when he/ she wakes up :D

Hope that clarifies this for you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hi guys,

Just read the post a can confirm that this is incorrect! I never heard of this before, but I thought it may have been a new rule, so doubted myself, so I called Ray Stears 5th Dan who is both my coach and one of the best referees in the country who confirmed that if you choke or strangle your opponent unconscious , it is nothing more than ippon to your you and if this is in the final/ semi final of a competition, both you and your opponent can medal

But only when he/ she wakes up :D

Hope that clarifies this for you..

Thanks Gary, I was going to ring Ray earlier but put it up on Judoforum instead.

However I'm almost certain I read it someone, maybe The Pyjama Game so it might have been a rule at one time or another.

However it would appear not to be the case now.
    both you and your opponent can medal

But only when he/ she wakes up

LMAO :D

Think you need to censor what your reading Martin ! It was never ever a rule in Judo according to Ray - and he is about 70! (sorry Ray)

As he said to me - if you get to the final and you die , you still get your medal !

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

Just a judo urban legend then, my bad.

I won't mention the coach who taught that rule to me when I was younger. :/

Balls.

Ridiculously embarrassing in fact, and I learned that rule at a national training session.

Oh well, my foot tastes great this morning.

• Advertisement

Thanks a good title for the thread Luke

Judo urban legends !!!!

" if you sew knicker elastic inside the sleeves of your jacket, it will ride up your arm , preventing your opponent taking grips":)

Or

" Vaseline the inside of you gi to stop your opponent taking grips" :)

Then I realised that referees have eyes and can actually see the Vaseline and elastic :eek::eek:, dam those referees eyes!! ....my point being their eyes were never open, when I scored ippon and not a waza-ari ,

Thanks a good title for the thread Luke

Judo urban legends !!!!

" if you sew knicker elastic inside the sleeves of your jacket, it will ride up your arm , preventing your opponent taking grips":)

Or

" Vaseline the inside of you gi to stop your opponent taking grips" :)

Then I realised that referees have eyes and can actually see the Vaseline and elastic :eek::eek:, dam those referees eyes!! ....my point being their eyes were never open, when I scored ippon and not a waza-ari ,

Actually, screw you Garry. I'm semi correct.

Cadet Choking Rule Protocol
    If a competitor (13-16 years of age) is choked unconscious during a contest in a division restricted to that age range, that athlete is out of the competition in that division. (IJF 2009) Medical staff would be called to revive the contestant who, when revived would resume his or her mark (with medical staff assistance, if necessary). If the injured contestant cannot stand, he or she should be directly removed from the contest area. The opponent is awarded the win. When the competitors both leave the contest area, the referee informs the chief referee or jury and then the bracket-keeper that the loser in that contest should be removed from the division. If a senior division competitor is choked unconscious during a contest that athlete may continue in the competition unless the medical staff declare the injured competitor unfit to continue.

I learned that rule when I was a cadet and it never occurred to me that seniors would be any different. So my bad, it applies to cadets only, obviously unless the medical staff say the injured senior competitor can't continue then I'm correct in both cases.

Thank God I'm not crazy, and that rule actually exists in some capacity.

Another rule similar to the cadet rule above for anyone interested.

Knocked unconscious from blunt force trauma
    If a competitor hits his or her head hard enough to cause unconsciousness (grade 3 concussion), the referee shall summon the medical staff to the competition area for an examination. If the medical staff determines that the competitor was rendered unconscious due to blunt force trauma, the athlete will lose that contest. That athlete will not be allowed to compete for the rest of the competition. This includes ALL competition even in other divisions. In the cases of grade 1 or 2 concussion (athlete shows signs of concussion but has not been rendered unconscious) the medical staff will determine whether the condition exists and if it does recommend the athlete not continue in that contest. The medical staff then will assess the situation and determine if the competitor is fit to continue in the competition.

Semi right !!!

Only for cadets (who I didn't know could use strangles)

If its a restricted technique ( which means illegal ) , you would be disqualified , which would prevent you from competing in the rest of the tournament.!

You'd better ring Ray, as one of the senior referees in Ireland, he didn't know about the semi - right rule :rolleyes:

And it's says fcuk all about not getting a medal !!! :p

• Advertisement

Double post, can mods please remove.

Semi right !!!

Only for cadets (who I didn't know could use strangles)

If its a restricted technique ( which means illegal ) , you would be disqualified , which would prevent you from competing in the rest of the tournament.!

You'd better ring Ray, as one of the senior referees in Ireland, he didn't know about the semi - right rule :rolleyes:

Garry....

Are you following this? It is a rule for cadets that I already said I learned when I was younger. It does have it's place in senior competition as you see above.

What's your issue....?

I already said I presumed it was the same for seniors, having down judo all my life it all just melded into one and I got mixed up on the details.

And it's says fcuk all about not getting a medal !!! :p

If you recieve hansoku make in competition, you are out of the competition, no next match etc.

Depending on the severity of the offence you can forfeit any earned medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Thanks guys. Is it done for the cadets in order to encourage tapping as opposed to getting choked unconscious or just for the health of the cadet? Maybe a bit of both?

Opinicus wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Is it done for the cadets in order to encourage tapping as opposed to getting choked unconscious or just for the health of the cadet? Maybe a bit of both?

The way it was explained to me is that it's a bit of both, you must have the wherewithal to know when you're going out and tap before losing consciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 wrestlingdad

as a ref and as a dad who has a cadet son - cadets in 2012 are born in 1996 or 1997 - the rule for cadets is that if you are choked unconscious you are out of the comp - in some areas ie. british judo association , there is a two week ban from competing also -

Advertisement