Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympics Job

Options
  • 06-04-2012 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey, Ive just been provisionally offerd a job during the duration of the Olympics and currently between minds with many questions to ask so hopefully someone on here can help me :confused:

First of all he job is only for the Olympics,would it be worth my while heading out about a month earlier and see is there any temp pub/waitressing work going (I have 6 years experience!!)

Secondly where to live?! will there be such thing as short term cheap let...or is the likes of a hostel,more expensive,but better option considering the length of time ill be there.

Currently a poor student in college in Dublin so with the promise of a good-ish wage it would be nice to walk away from this with more than just life experience!!
    All opinions,thoughts & help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

_ellie_ wrote: »
    Will there be such thing as short term cheap let?

During the Olympics? Not a chance, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 candles_

Hey, Ive just been provisionally offerd a job during the duration of the Olympics and currently between minds with many questions to ask so hopefully someone on here can help me :confused:

First of all he job is only for the Olympics,would it be worth my while heading out about a month earlier and see is there any temp pub/waitressing work going (I have 6 years experience!!)

Secondly where to live?! will there be such thing as short term cheap let...or is the likes of a hostel,more expensive,but better option considering the length of time ill be there.

Currently a poor student in college in Dublin so with the promise of a good-ish wage it would be nice to walk away from this with more than just life experience!!
    All opinions,thoughts & help appreciated :)

Hi, I'm also heading over for an Olympic job. Been looking around online trying to see if it would be possible to get cheapish accom. Tried all the student accom but its either booked out, fairly expensive or a bit far away. I'm hoping to get something short term from mid July to mid September sharing with someone but I dont really know London or where is a good area. Been looking on Spareroom.co.uk for Stratford, (a bit nervous about living with people I dont know) it looks like it will be about £120-150 a week, maybe more by the time July comes around. Do you know which venue you'll be based at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 _ellie_

candles_ wrote: »
    Do you know which venue you'll be based at?

Is your job with these manpower@the retail people as well??They asked me where i would like to be based,so currently trying consider the best option,not sure whether to go outside London with less pay and the possibility of less hours or stay within the city!also pretty hazy on the whole geography of London,a lot more research needed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 _ellie_

serrity wrote: »
    During the Olympics? Not a chance, unfortunately.

thought as much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 candles_

Is your job with these manpower@the retail people as well??They asked me where i would like to be based,so currently trying consider the best option,not sure whether to go outside London with less pay and the possibility of less hours or stay within the city!also pretty hazy on the whole geography of London,a lot more research needed!!

Nope, with the last mile team.. I was asked where I wanted to go and decided on the olympic park.. Atmosphere and all that, opportunity to live in london... and more hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Zizou

try easyroommate.co.uk also for short term accomodation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

It looks like I could possibly be heading over to work too. I'm going to be based in the media centre. Finding accommodation is my biggest worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Folks, accommodation in London during the Olympics is going to be anything but cheap. Furthermore, commuting in London can be traumatic at the best of times - I'm really not looking forward to it come Olympic time and I will be avoiding it by working from home and/or taking time off so far as is possible.

If you're coming here to work during the Olympics, the salary offered would need to be pretty damn high to make it worth your while - you could easily end up making a net loss if you're not careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Ah I know accommodation won't be cheap or anything. I'll be over for most of the summer as far as I know mid June - mid September, although I'm not sure if that'll make it better or worse when I'm looking for somewhere to stay. I'll be getting about €4 more an hour over there than I am here, plus an 8% bonus when I finish up, so hopefully it'll even out. I am a student though, so I'm not looking to make huge money or anything, if I break even I'll be happy, if I manage to save some money I'll be delighted.

Advertisement