Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrating divorce

• 05-04-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

All going well I will be divorced in the next 8 months or so. This process has got me thinking how to mark the occasion. I don't mean like a party or anything crazy like that.
    At the moment I feel like I am stuck in this time warp with a noose around my neck. But I envisage the freedom of the divorce as a rebirth of sorts. Like a snake shedding it's skin or a butterfly emerging from it's chrysalis. So my question is how do I mark this new beginning? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Smashhits

Hi Op

What have you always wanted to do? What I mean is there something that was always put off, deferred for one reason or another. For me it's to travel by myself. If there is something mark the divorce that way. It's for you and only you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

In the States many folk do hold divorce parties but not sure that would really fit into our culture here though you never know, stranger things have happened.

Smashhits has it though - what is something you always wanted to do? Visit the pyramids? Go to Giza? or New Zealand or got bungee jumping?

Me - I think I would like to mark it with something special - create a new set of free now memories :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

My aunt got divorced 4 years ago and according to my father the party we had was bigger and better than my aunts wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Is there anything you've always wanted to do but either your partner or the divorce was stopping you from doing? That would be a good way of both celebrating, having something to look forward to and symbolise the new found freedoms you'll have - party would be a good one too, divorce and separation can take such a toll, I think many would support a celebration that a line has been drawn under a relationship/relationship ending that was making you unhappy...perhaps a "The Next Chapter..." party?!

All the best. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

HI OP
    With every divorce there was a marriage and hopefully some happy times, focus on some of them as well. It does not have to be all bad.
    The moment you decided the relationship was over was the start of a new chapter for you, this just makes it official.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

All going well I will be divorced in the next 8 months or so. This process has got me thinking how to mark the occasion. I don't mean like a party or anything crazy like that.
    At the moment I feel like I am stuck in this time warp with a noose around my neck. But I envisage the freedom of the divorce as a rebirth of sorts. Like a snake shedding it's skin or a butterfly emerging from it's chrysalis. So my question is how do I mark this new beginning? Any thoughts?
    Firstly I'd like to say I'm happy for you (not the demise of your marriage of course!) but the fact that you can see the finish line :)

I get the sense that you're ready to embrace your new life, and I just feel like you need to hop on a plane with a good friend. Go see some sights, drink some wine, eat good food, stroll around some markets, and have a nice relaxing time :)

I have Lake Garda ear marked for whenever I get the hell out of my marriage. Our circumstances are different, but I look forward to the day I'm free again. Like yourself, I wouldn't be into a party thing, just something relaxing and enjoyable to mark the occasion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

My divorce is due in the next month or so. I have already celebrated by buying a new bed and dumping the marital one, doing up my bedroom and buying myself a 'new' car!! Best of luck to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fiona

Is there anything you've always wanted to do but either your partner or the divorce was stopping you from doing? /QUOTE]

When I finally get divorced I am taking the car over to the NurburgRing to have a few laps and then head to the Munich to visit the BMW Factory and do all the things my husband hated :o

Advertisement