Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael P O'Conner Story teller

Options
  • 05-04-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Does anyone remember the regular weekly broadcasts of children's stories by Michael P O'Connor.

As far as I remember, his stories were a regular segment of a children's programmme that was broadcast around 17:30 on a Wednesday evening on Radio Eireann during the Fifties.
    His rich deep voice was a joy to listen to. The stories were original and imaginative. I cannot recall any of the details. But I can recall the childish pleasure of being transported into a magic world, forgetting about the cold wet Winter's evening as his warm reassuring voice led one's imagination to a different place.

I have emailed RTE Archives to find out if they have any recordings of the programme. There is very little information on the Internet on the writer. Surprisingly, he was a medical doctor, born in Loughrea, Co Galway who served a number of years in the British Colonial Service in the Far East and was imprisoned by the Japanese during WW2.

Advertisement