Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second name in Irish

Options
  • 05-04-2012 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I've seen a few threads about this before but nothing that answers this question im about to ask.
    I got my name changed to my Irish version by deed poll, I also got my Irish drivers licence in my Irish name.

I wanted to get my Irish name on my passport but I know and understand that you need to have 2 years proof of using your Irish name before you can get it on your passport, this is to stop thing like money laundering etc which is fair enough.

I then learn that you can get a 2 year temporary passport that has your name in English AND Irish. I've heard from a lot of people about this and about people getting it, so i contacted the passport office and asked them about such a passport, they say they don't do it anymore.

Anyway, my question is, not that I don't believe the person in the office, but I would like a second opinion, has anyone gone this route recently or are they correct and I will not be able to get this temp 2 year double named passport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Reading the passport application form, you only need to get a garda to stamp to say they are satisfied with the identity of the applicant.

You can get your name off your birth cert as an a.k.a on your passport on a separate page. if you've got your deed poll docs and you've a surname which is definitely the irish of your english ( and you're not "known" to gardaí) I'd say there should be no hassle.

If you get hassle, try approach a single garda at a station nearby and figure out what they will take to convince you are you, politely.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

try approach a single garda at a station

A single Garda, eh? Think that might work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

A single Garda, eh? Think that might work?

Throw up your passport pics and we will judge...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭scolari-ire

Believe me, it wouldnt work in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭scolari-ire

You can get your name off your birth cert as an a.k.a on your passport on a separate page. if you've got your deed poll docs and you've a surname which is definitely the irish of your english ( and you're not "known" to gardaí) I'd say there should be no hassle.

This is what I thought, a few people have told me this but when I contacted the office they said they dont do it anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I mistakenly signed my name as the alternative form (e.g. Tommy instead of Thomas). I got a phonecall asking me if I meant to do that, I just said it was a slip.

They printed my passport anyway with no further bother, my birth cert name on the photo page with the signature I had given. The name I signed was printed overleaf with "also known as" written beside it.

Advertisement