Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 years through a degree, financial circumstances have changed

Options
  • 05-04-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

In brief, I have received a grant for the first three years of my degree. I deferred my final year and will be returning to do this in September. Under normal circumstances I understand that I could just tell the grants office I've returned to college and my grant would continue. However in the past year since deferring, I've moved out of the house of my mother who's income I was assessed on, we don't speak to each other and I don't receive money from her. Under my new current circumstances independent of her, I would qualify for a higher rate of grant. I'm just wondering would such a situation be recognised by the grants office however? The only evidence I could produce for the lot is my change of address on bank statements etc.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

You'll need to prove that you're estranged from her. Letters from solicitors and the like. Chances are they'll insist on assessing you based on her income as you havent been three years out of college and away from her. As you're not talking you will have issues getting documented evidence of her income. Best bet is to write tot eh council to see what they need in advance, so you can get it sorted before you go back in september.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Yes or go in and talk in person if it's convenient. That way you can get a written list of what you need.

Advertisement