Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC vs. Magnet

Options
  • 05-04-2012 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently on UPC 25 meg bb, and am unfortunate enough to be burdened with the epc2425 :(

(multiple xbox's is the main issue, along with signal around the apartment)

The other day I called them and asked if the would provision an old 2203, to which they said no, they're rolling out new firmware for it and it won't be able to handle speeds over 20 meg. So I asked if they would replace the piece of crap modem they supplied and they said no, a callout would have to be made to ascertain the problem. I tried explaining that technically there was no problem, just sh1tty hardware being supplied by them! She said it was that or nothing, so I said fine, send someone out.

He called out, seemed to understand my problems but with no line errors he couldn't do anything.

So now I'm thinking of switching to Magnet, so I can use a decent router. Can anyone advise as to whether this might be a bad move for any reason?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

You can use a router with the EPC2425, myself and many other people have been doing this for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

That's what I'm doing, but it doesn't help the issue with multiple xbox's. The second xbox to connect will get a strict nat type.

Currently I have the 2425 DMZ'd to 192.168.1.2 with a Netgear N300 on that IP. You're right in that if I could just get all internet traffic forwarded unconditionally to the N300 and let it do the routing that should work, but nothing I've tried has gone so smoothly.

On a side note, if I was to get this for examply, assuming it allows me to edit it's MAC address, would it work? Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Connect box Xboxes to the 2425, then follow this doc:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Cisco/EPC2425/Xbox_Live_360.htm

But instead of configuring "port forwarding", configure the same thing under "port triggering" instead.

Actually, the 2425 supports uPNP so might not even have to do that. Just go to Setup -> Advanced Settings -> Options and enable uPNP - it should work just fine. Oh, and go under Setup -> Firewall -> Options and disable all the options there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Believe me, I tried that. Always had uPnP enabled and firewall off. Tried all manner of port forwarding/triggering too, it's just the router being utterly useless. Apparently it just won't hand out a unique external IP to each subsequent xbox.

I finally got it working, so for anyone that hopefully googles this problem and finds this thread, here are the settings for two xbox's with open NAT:

EPC 2425 Settings:

-Full reset
    -Firewall off
    -uPnP Enabled
    -WAN Blocking disabled (not sure if this will make a difference, just happened to have it off when I got it working and haven't changed back)
    -DMZ Host address: 192.168.1.2
    -Wireless Access Point disabled
    -Ethernet cable from LAN Port 1 to router WAN port

Router: (in my case WRT54 GS flashed with DD-WRT firmware, but the standard firmware should have similar configuration options, and any other router with dedicated WAN ethernet port should work)

WAN Setup:-
    -Static IP 192.168.1.2
    -Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    -Gateway 192.168.1.1
    -Static DNS 1: 8.8.8.8
    -Static DNS 2: 8.8.4.4

Network Setup:-
    -Local IP 192.168.3.1
    -Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    -Gateway 0.0.0.0
    -Local DNS 0.0.0.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SuzanneSw

I have got 25mb broadband with UPC but they will not supply a free wireless modem unless I upgrade. I am a complete techie beginner so can anyone recommend a modem I could connect myself and where I can purchase?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nice one Adam. DMZing like this fixed my issues. Good thing I'm disabling the wifi on it as its totally useless:rolleyes:

Kudos

Advertisement