Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD ENTS admit the acts are only booked according to their availability on the night

Options
  • 05-04-2012 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭

Ok, we all had guessed this already. But now it has been confirmed, at 3:27, that acts are booked "because they're in the country that... that night like."

So all the "who do YOU want to see play YOUR ball" nonsense had proved to be just that, nonsense.

On a less cynical note (!), the video is actually very funny. Fair play to the SU for showing us a bit of a lighter side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNPAunD7hCY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

They should have booked acts that weren't available on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Absolutely. And they should keep perpetuating the idea that they listen to students for ideas on which acts to book!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Video?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I don't really understand how this is a bad thing or a surprise either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I'm happy they only book acts that are in that night. The extra cost involved in flying in and providing accommodation for the acts would have made the line-up even shítter.

People need to get real here, it's a 40 euro ticket event run by a students union that is hugely in debt. What the fúck do you expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

It should probably be commended for saving money if anything. As has been said, flying in acts and putting them up would have only added to the cost. Either way, it was probably negotiated through the larger agencies like MCD (Who run Trinity's ball)

People have no idea the demands certain acts can have before they will play. In the case of DJ's, this can come down to the players, mixers, sound system and even the make of the booth speakers. Avicii insists on lego in his dressing room :) Add to that the cost of perhaps a 5 star hotel room for them plus entourage. It can be utter lunacy.

The toss in my eyes is between one major act and a short even, or a few decent acts over an entire day.

No one is doubting the fantastic job the union has done over the last five years. I especially love the way the keep asking me to join Facebook groups asking myself, and my fellow UCD students, to suggest acts for the ball. It's MY union, and that makes ME feel connected.

I also love how there are no hacks on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

No one is doubting the fantastic job the union has done over the last five years. I especially love the way the keep asking me to join Facebook groups asking myself, and my fellow UCD students, to suggest acts for the ball. It's MY union, and that makes ME feel connected.

I also love how there are no hacks on boards.

I loathe many parts of the union and I am no hack but your complaint has no credit really.

I loathe many parts of the union and I am no hack but your complaint has no credit really.

It does. It's very clear to me. But hey, I managed to get through UCD without getting involved with the SU, so maybe I'm not biased towards them like everyone else here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

First world problems, eh?

• Advertisement

It does. It's very clear to me. But hey, I managed to get through UCD without getting involved with the SU, so maybe I'm not biased towards them like everyone else here.

People aren't exactly biased, just realistic. The SU as a whole is pretty useless, but people need to get real on what they expect for 40 quid. Instead of whining about it why not get involved and try to make it better?

Typical bullshít, moan and moan but make no effort to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I don't see why this is a surprise. LMFAO for example performed at the EMAs in Belfast the night before they played the student bar last year. They didn't travel to Ireland just to play in UCD.

RMD wrote: »
    People aren't exactly biased, just realistic. The SU as a whole is pretty useless, but people need to get real on what they expect for 40 quid. Instead of whining about it why not get involved and try to make it better?

Typical bullshít, moan and moan but make no effort to change it.

It's not bull**** lad, you just don't understand the point which is being made here. If you don't understand the difference between what I'm talking about, and what you want me to have written, then the very best of luck to you. If I was an SU hack, I probably wouldn't understand either.

Also, how dare students complain about how their money is spent. Let's lie down and take it up the arse. Let's increase Ahern's pension. I don't know how people like me, who engage in that (apparent moaning... or pointing out the lies which morons lap up), don't commit suicide. I'm glad that Irish culture isn't changing. Hopefully Fianna Fáil will be back in power soon.

honru wrote: »
    I don't see why this is a surprise. LMFAO for example performed at the EMAs in Belfast the night before they played the student bar last year. They didn't travel to Ireland just to play in UCD.

That's not the point I'm making. The point is that UCD Ents regularly asks students to tell them who they want to play their ball. This proves that it's all a load of nonsense.

It's not bull**** lad, you just don't understand the point which is being made here. If you don't understand the difference between what I'm talking about, and what you want me to have written, then the very best of luck to you. If I was an SU hack, I probably wouldn't understand either.

Also, how dare students complain about how their money is spent.

With respect, you clearly have a fairly outright political agenda re Fianna Fail etc. I have no interest in politics, so I'll leave it there. And for the record, I have no affiliation with the SU bar friends who occasionally ask for a help out at events.

Don't come on here and complain we're all 'hacks' because we don't agree with your viewpoint. I know a good few people on here in person, and none of them are SU affiliated in any way, shape or form.

My reading of your argument is that you are disappointed that the SU didn't listen to what was asked for on the various pages. Why? Well, considering 90% of suggestions were utterly outrageous is one. The VAST majority of UCD students want main stream EDM and charts. Scale it down to your average night out, a DJ isn't going to play Wonderwall or Seven Nation Army if one lad wants to here it. You play to the crowd. And secondly, its kinda up to the customer to research a night first. Don't go to Twister Pepper if you don't want to hear DubStep on a Friday, or avoid Palace is your hate cheese on a Thursday.

The various poll's I saw were littered with the likes of Swedish House Mafia, Avicii, David Guetta and some of the smaller chart topping acts. To expect them to come for €40 per head is utter disillusion of reality. And I'd be against any suggestion of subsiding the ball with SU funds. Its not the acts that cost money, its the general set up (Ever rented a stage and sound kit?) and the security (Something like 1 for every 10 people there) Obviously you could argue that why not have two stages or lesser unknown acts, well you'd probably sell zilch-o tickets and make a huge loss. I'd rather have a semi-decent event than no event at all.

The ball in my eyes is an entirely separate issue to the SU in general. Its a decent festival event just before the exams and should be commended, seeing as they all get a torrent of abuse every year because they don't have €100,000 to blow on the most recent chart topper. If someone doesn't like it, don't go and save yourself €40. No one is forcing anyone to go.

Or pay €80 and go to Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

That's not the point I'm making. The point is that UCD Ents regularly asks students to tell them who they want to play their ball. This proves that it's all a load of nonsense.

I wouldn't take those requests too seriously though; they're more to get discussion and the hype machine rolling, if anything. It's not like they're making any false promises through asking something like that.

What is false and misleading is that on the poster among the lineup it says "many more to be announced", when apparently (I could be wrong) no further acts will be added. I don't mind if the lineup is finalised but I would have preferred if they were upfront about that.

ironclaw wrote: »
    With respect, you clearly have a fairly outright political agenda re Fianna Fail etc. I have no interest in politics, so I'll leave it there. And for the record, I have no affiliation with the SU bar friends who occasionally ask for a help out at events.

Don't come on here and complain we're all 'hacks' because we don't agree with your viewpoint. I know a good few people on here in person, and none of them are SU affiliated in any way, shape or form.

My reading of your argument is that you are disappointed that the SU didn't listen to what was asked for on the various pages. Why? Well, considering 90% of suggestions were utterly outrageous is one. The VAST majority of UCD students want main stream EDM and charts. Scale it down to your average night out, a DJ isn't going to play Wonderwall or Seven Nation Army if one lad wants to here it. You play to the crowd. And secondly, its kinda up to the customer to research a night first. Don't go to Twister Pepper if you don't want to hear DubStep on a Friday, or avoid Palace is your hate cheese on a Thursday.

The various poll's I saw were littered with the likes of Swedish House Mafia, Avicii, David Guetta and some of the smaller chart topping acts. To expect them to come for €40 per head is utter disillusion of reality. And I'd be against any suggestion of subsiding the ball with SU funds. Its not the acts that cost money, its the general set up (Ever rented a stage and sound kit?) and the security (Something like 1 for every 10 people there) Obviously you could argue that why not have two stages or lesser unknown acts, well you'd probably sell zilch-o tickets and make a huge loss. I'd rather have a semi-decent event than no event at all.

The ball in my eyes is an entirely separate issue to the SU in general. Its a decent festival event just before the exams and should be commended, seeing as they all get a torrent of abuse every year because they don't have €100,000 to blow on the most recent chart topper. If someone doesn't like it, don't go and save yourself €40. No one is forcing anyone to go.

Or pay €80 and go to Trinity.

'I have no affiliation, I just help out my mates.' That's an impressive way to disassociate yourself from the SU. I sincerely apologise for ever suggesting that anyone was an SU hack. I actually feel so embarrassed.

Don't tell me what to do. I'm not going to become a hack just because some boards hack asks me to. Thanks.

Name my three most outrageous suggestions? I'm very interested to know. Your definition of "average night out" is obviously quite different to mine, and again completely ignores the point I'm making. You don't understand the issue, that's not really my problem I'm afraid.

Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions. I know far more about the cost of live events than you give me credit for. Loaded sentences like, "you'd probably sell zilch-o tickets and make a huge loss" don't add intelligent points to the argument. They haven't sold out the ball this year, nor did they last year. How many events has Darcy had cancelled this year?

As I said, don't ask people's opinion if you don't want it. It doesn't help anyone's perception of you.

honru wrote: »
    I wouldn't take those requests too seriously though; they're more to get discussion and the hype machine rolling, if anything. It's not like they're making any false promises through asking something like that.

What is false and misleading is that on the poster among the lineup it says "many more to be announced", when apparently (I could be wrong) no further acts will be added. I don't mind if the lineup is finalised but I would have preferred if they were upfront about that.

Yeah, no more acts are due to be announced. Except a few local ones apparently. Don't quote me on that mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I guarantee you the Ents officer followed up on every request. I'd say he probably has the rejection emails to prove it. He probably realised pretty early on he wasn't gonna bring anyone here specifically.

Non issue, no one cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

errlloyd wrote: »
    no one cares.

This should be on the UCD Dublin crest..

• Advertisement

Also, how dare students complain about how their money is spent. Let's lie down and take it up the arse.

You've completely missed my point, I basically said what is the point of complaining if you're not willing to do anything that will change it? Instead of whining on a forum why not get involved in the SU and sort out the problems you see. Before you get any ideas, I'm not involved in the SU. I couldn't be arsed dealing with that level of bollox on a daily basis.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Non issue, no one cares.

Therein lies the problem.

You've completely missed my point, I basically said what is the point of complaining if you're not willing to do anything that will change it? Instead of whining on a forum why not get involved in the SU and sort out the problems you see. Before you get any ideas, I'm not involved in the SU. I couldn't be arsed dealing with that level of bollox on a daily basis.

By your logic, only people involved in things can criticise. I feel, as a UCD student who votes in SU elections, I have every right to criticise people who are paid out of my fees. If you think differently, you are wrong.

To take it a step further, by your logic, only people involved in Fine Gael or Labour can criticise the present government! Goodluck to you sir!

'I have no affiliation, I just help out my mates.'

By help, thats all I do. Absolutely no further involvement politically or otherwise. I have no interest in the SU.
    Name my three most outrageous suggestions? I'm very interested to know.

I never directed that comment at you. It was a general statement:

"Well, considering 90% of suggestions were utterly outrageous is one. The VAST majority of UCD students want main stream EDM and charts"

What I was trying to say is that most suggestions were never ever going to happen. So people were disappointed when they didn't materialize.
    Your definition of "average night out" is obviously quite different to mine, and again completely ignores the point I'm making.

No problem there. Thats my perception of the average night for the student body. Predrinks, Club, Taxi Home. Different strokes for different folks! But the concept still stands. If you go to a pub or club, they will cater for what the vast majority want, not the five rockers in the corner or the 3 D4 girls who want Rihanna on repeat. Its what the crowd wants. And its also accepted by the DJ (Or band) that the crowd is there to hear a certain type of music, so protests of 'I hate indie' or whatnot are irrelevant if the event is organized for such genres.

Anyway, coming back to it, what is your base argument because I'm struggling to understand? :confused: Is it the fact the SU asked us what we wanted to play and then didn't deliver? Or is it the line up itself?

The video at the start of this thread makes no addition to the argument that the SU didn't deliver. The statement that they booked acts because they were in the country on the night is perfectible acceptable and rational, in my eyes anyway. In fact it probably saved quite abit of money to do so. And either way, they are decent acts so whats the fuss?

ironclaw wrote: »
    By help, thats all I do. Absolutely no further involvement politically or otherwise. I have no interest in the SU.

I never directed that comment at you. It was a general statement:

"Well, considering 90% of suggestions were utterly outrageous is one. The VAST majority of UCD students want main stream EDM and charts"

What I was trying to say is that most suggestions were never ever going to happen. So people were disappointed when they didn't materialize.

No problem there. Thats my perception of the average night for the student body. Predrinks, Club, Taxi Home. Different strokes for different folks! But the concept still stands. If you go to a pub or club, they will cater for what the vast majority want, not the five rockers in the corner or the 3 D4 girls who want Rihanna on repeat. Its what the crowd wants. And its also accepted by the DJ (Or band) that the crowd is there to hear a certain type of music, so protests of 'I hate indie' or whatnot are irrelevant if the event is organized for such genres.

Anyway, coming back to it, what is your base argument because I'm struggling to understand? :confused: Is it the fact the SU asked us what we wanted to play and then didn't deliver? Or is it the line up itself?

The video at the start of this thread makes no addition to the argument that the SU didn't deliver. The statement that they booked acts because they were in the country on the night is perfectible acceptable and rational, in my eyes anyway. In fact it probably saved quite abit of money to do so. And either way, they are decent acts so whats the fuss?

I think quoting my opening argument will probably be the handiest thing to do here Pat. "So all the "who do YOU want to see play YOUR ball" nonsense had proved to be just that, nonsense."

I think quoting my opening argument will probably be the handiest thing to do here Pat. "So all the "who do YOU want to see play YOUR ball" nonsense had proved to be just that, nonsense."

Ok, fair enough. But how is that statement nonsense? There are a few suggestions on the bill.

By your logic, only people involved in things can criticise. I feel, as a UCD student who votes in SU elections, I have every right to criticise people who are paid out of my fees. If you think differently, you are wrong.

To take it a step further, by your logic, only people involved in Fine Gael or Labour can criticise the present government! Goodluck to you sir!

You're coming up with a completely different logic to mine. Please quote me on where I said you must be involved to criticise. I said instead of criticising why not get involved? Criticising on an internet forum will achieve fúck all, getting involved might lead to changes you want to see.

I'd lessen the whole psychoanalysis if I was you, that was never my logic and is a pretty ridiculous conclusion to come up with. Anyone can criticise the current government, but I'll reiterate the only way it will be changed is by getting directly involved.

You're coming up with a completely different logic to mine. Please quote me on where I said you must be involved to criticise. I said instead of criticising why not get involved? Criticising on an internet forum will achieve fúck all, getting involved might lead to changes you want to see.

I'd lessen the whole psychoanalysis if I was you, that was never my logic and is a pretty ridiculous conclusion to come up with. Anyone can criticise the current government, but I'll reiterate the only way it will be changed is by getting directly involved.

Just came back across this. Who wants to be Brendan Lannoye? I certainly don't.

The only way to change the present government is by getting involved with it?! You're a good laugh, I have to say. We may as well close down the Press so.

Advertisement