Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horny Cocker Spaniel

Options
  • 05-04-2012 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Help..I have a four year old male cocker spaniel that is incredibly sexually frustrated.

If anyone has had a similar problem with a dog, what have you done? Do we neuter the dog, give it the chemical treatment every six months which is about 45 euros each time, or do we stud him out?

I would rather stud him out but will that give him a taste of what it is like and he will just end up wanting more?

Neutering seems unnatural and he will get fat (and he is already pretty big..don't want an obese dog) but at the moment it seems like the best option...

Any other options?

Help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Studding him out is definitely not the way to go, you think he's bad now, if he knows what he's supposed to do, he'll be much worse.

Neutering does not lead to fat dogs, just decrease food slightly and make sure the dog gets plenty of exercise. The exercise will also of course help to tire him out, and should help with his little problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please dont stud your dog out, there are more than enough breeders and more than enough puppy farmers and byb's studding their dogs without adding to the problem.

Unless your dog is of exceptional quality, champion in his breed, etc and has been fully health tested for his breed, then you should not even consider studding your dog.

Getting him neutered is the best thing you can do for him.

If your dog is big, feed him less and increase his exercise, its not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

We have a Cocker majigger (he's either a working Cocker or a Cocker/Springer mix - very open to debate) who humped just about everything when we first got him eek.gif (he's a rescue). Neutering made a massive difference, he calmed down significantly, did not get fat (he is a high energy dog anyway, if anything he could do with gaining a kilo or two!) and the humping stopped with a little training (there was no hope before he was neutered).

Giving him a taste for what he wants (the ladies cool.gif) will just make things worse and is a bad idea if you want him to stop humping everything.

Chemical castration will help, but going the whole hog and getting him physically castrated will be the best option (in my opinion). It is one procedure and the recovery time is quick, and he won't miss the missing bits! It really does make quite a difference to the males, behaviour wise, and if he is still mounting and humping after the op, a little training will drive the message home that it's not ok. If he doesn't have the hormonal drive to do it, breaking the habit is easy (compared to with the hormonal drive)!

There are quite a few myths about neutering, one being the dog will get fat. Females are more likely to get a bit pudgy from being neutered, and this is easily controlled by diet and exercise. From my experience, males bounce back very fast and don't gain weight (due to the op anyway!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SSS2012

andreac wrote: »
    Please dont stud your dog out, there are more than enough breeders and more than enough puppy farmers and byb's studding their dogs without adding to the problem.

Unless your dog is of exceptional quality, champion in his breed, etc and has been fully health tested for his breed, then you should not even consider studding your dog.

Getting him neutered is the best thing you can do for him.

If your dog is big, feed him less and increase his exercise, its not rocket science.

Thanks for the reply. He was originally purchased for hunting and breeding as he is of exceptionally high quality, his parents were award winning champions, and he has all his vaccines and papers. But we just never got around to breeding him before..and since he has been so horny we were thinking maybe we should start! But I agree it may make him worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SSS2012

We have a Cocker majigger (he's either a working Cocker or a Cocker/Springer mix - very open to debate) who humped just about everything when we first got him eek.gif (he's a rescue). Neutering made a massive difference, he calmed down significantly, did not get fat (he is a high energy dog anyway, if anything he could do with gaining a kilo or two!) and the humping stopped with a little training (there was no hope before he was neutered).

Giving him a taste for what he wants (the ladies cool.gif) will just make things worse and is a bad idea if you want him to stop humping everything.

Chemical castration will help, but going the whole hog and getting him physically castrated will be the best option (in my opinion). It is one procedure and the recovery time is quick, and he won't miss the missing bits! It really does make quite a difference to the males, behaviour wise, and if he is still mounting and humping after the op, a little training will drive the message home that it's not ok. If he doesn't have the hormonal drive to do it, breaking the habit is easy (compared to with the hormonal drive)!

There are quite a few myths about neutering, one being the dog will get fat. Females are more likely to get a bit pudgy from being neutered, and this is easily controlled by diet and exercise. From my experience, males bounce back very fast and don't gain weight (due to the op anyway!).

Thanks for this..great information there..was surprised when you said you still had to give him a little training! Was hoping this would work without having to do anything else! What type of training did you have to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

SSS2012 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. He was originally purchased for hunting and breeding as he is of exceptionally high quality, his parents were award winning champions, and he has all his vaccines and papers. But we just never got around to breeding him before..and since he has been so horny we were thinking maybe we should start! But I agree it may make him worse

Vaccines and papers are not enough!! He must be fully health tested so depending on what the breed suffers from he must be tested for these first, not just routine vet checks.

Just because his parents were of good quality does not automatically deem him good enough to be bred from.
    Unless there is a reason to breed from him and all the above that i mentioned are done, do not even contemplate it.

Are you aware of the huge problem of unwanted dogs that are over bred in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

SSS2012 wrote: »
    Thanks for this..great information there..was surprised when you said you still had to give him a little training! Was hoping this would work without having to do anything else! What type of training did you have to do?

"Training" is telling him off for humping things! If they get into the habit of doing it, once they are neutered they may need a few reminders to not do it. With my guy, he would go to mount things and would get one of us giving out to him, he stopped pretty lively! The neutering did all the hard work in getting him to stop, and we only had to do some minor giving out for mounting after this. Well worth getting the snip!

To be quite frank, unneutered males can be an awful pain in the bum. Unless you are planning on ethically breeding, there is no real need to leave them intact and, from personal experience (I have had both intact and neutered males), neutered males tend be much calmer and easier to deal with. Don't get me wrong, intact males can be brilliant pets but I, personally, prefer male dogs sans bits!

Plus, as andreac already mentioned, the huge problem of the unwanted dog population in this country - neutering prevents unwanted accidents and prevents males wandering, looking for mates.

Advertisement