Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh my! anyone seen this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    guns and kits for sale!

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/kit-shortcuts

this is just a really bad thing to do.

as a gamer, i think it's a disgusting idea. But, if some people are willing to pay for it, it makes business sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

fools and their money are easily parted!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

For the guns its kinda foolish because you still have to learn the levels and the starting guns are just as good as level 45 guns. But for the vehicles & aircraft it rather more useful because without some of their unlocks you're in serious trouble against an fully unlocked enemy in their vehicle/aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,418 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

one of old lads at S18 bought the ultimate pack...he claims he doesn't have the time to unlock all the guns...but seriously...why bother? :confused:
    Where's the fun in having everything unlocked .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Blazer wrote: »
    but seriously...why bother? :confused:

"he doesn't have the time to unlock all the guns."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mick-fitz8585

Half the fun is unlocking all the guns by playing as that kit

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

All the complaining gamers make about these things, they still buy them in droves. They've been around too long now to be considered a flash in the pan - they're a proven business model and as long as people keep buying them, they're here to stay. Reality of modern gaming life - we're game rich, but time poor. There are too many games to be able to sink 20+ hours a week into BF3 (I haven't played it in well over a month cause I've been busy with so much other stuff).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't really see the problem at this stage. If they had this option at launch, it would have been ****. But if you've been playing since launch, you've almost certainly unlocked most of this already. If you're only getting into it now, you can get a slight advantage buy spending some extra money. You're still going to suck for a while. And some people genuinely don't have the time to get to lvl50 (or whatever) and unlock everything.

Also, as Shiminay says, we only have ourselves to blame. If we didn't keep buying these kind of packs, they wouldn't keep offering them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Most of the fun is in unlocking things. If they want to pay more for less, I say let them. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,098 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

one of old lads at S18 bought the ultimate pack...he claims he doesn't have the time to unlock all the guns...but seriously...why bother? :confused:

I really don't get this kind of thinking. You get the unlocks by playing the game, so if he has time to play, he has time to get the unlocks. All he's done is pay even more money to rob himself of the satisfaction and sense of achievement to be gained. This doesn't benefit him, just some amoral beancounter in EA HQ.

• Advertisement

It many ways it no less fair than rewarding those without a life who can sink time into these games and gain unlocks which directly effect their survivability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

it's just a game, who cares? I know I got my unlocks the hard way so I got my enjoyment from that and it doesnt really bother me at this stage if someone pays extra for them. It might even help stop some of the stats-padders who do it for unlocks. It might even stop a few people cheating.

It would be different if they gave this option on release as the game would be unbearable then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

it's just a game, who cares? I know I got my unlocks the hard way so I got my enjoyment from that and it doesnt really bother me at this stage if someone pays extra for them. It might even help stop some of the stats-padders who do it for unlocks. It might even stop a few people cheating.

It would be different if they gave this option on release as the game would be unbearable then.

it doesnt bother you now whats happening.
    but what about the next title where this is available at launch, where people will get all the weapons early.

then what about the title after that?
    whats the stop them from bringing in weapons that you can only buy. and i win gun maybe?

these kinds of business models arent great for games. it may be good for companies, but will inevitably turn out bad for the games down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 O1

Don't care.

You can't buy the skill and game-knowledge you acquire along the way while collecting all these weapons.

Also, some of the starting weapons are among the best in the game.

EDIT: Also....it's prohibitively expensive to get them all....if someone REALLY wants pretend virtual guns enough that they will pay an EXTRA 30- 40 quid for them on top of the game price then off they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

but what about the next title where this is available at launch, where people will get all the weapons early.

whats the stop them from bringing in weapons that you can only buy. and i win gun maybe?

these kinds of business models arent great for games. it may be good for companies, but will inevitably turn out bad for the games down the line.
    That's all speculation though and it hasnt happend like that. They probably should address people's concerns and release a statement to stop people worrying about it

I'm sure they'll have a few more "premium" surprises to milk the BF3 cow in the coming months but this one doesnt bother me that much at stage of the game.

^^Of course the above only applies to games that are (relatively, prepare flame-suit) balanced like BF3.

If the later weapons were so good that you'd never use the starter weapons it would be a different story.

EDIT: Referring to my own previous post, not jumbobreakfast's.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

This is no harm as you cant buy skill - having said that some of the high level vehicle unlocks go well above and beyond their standard loadout - I mean jets are much more useful with rocket pods/guided missiles - APCs are realy good in urban maps with infrared/autoloader/missile - I really dislike how flares/smoke on land vehicles are a specific unlock slot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

They did shortcut kits in Bad Co. 2 as well. They won't make unlocks all available at launch - if everyone who cared to pay extra had every unlock on day one, the game would be a flop. Also, the weapons you can only get by purchasing, otherwise known as micro-transactions, have also been done already. Battlefield Play4Free. In other words, you're late off the bat to be giving out that it's happening by a few years.

Players who buy these shortcut packs are paying more money for less game - they've nothing to try and unlock so the game gets boring more quickly. Most of the fun is in unlocking things.

With that beside the point, buying everything doesn't make you a better player. The G3A3 is a fantastic rifle, if you can use it. If a new guy buys it but doesn't have any knowledge of the game, I'd still easily beat him with my G17C. Having the G3A3 doesn't make him better so it doesn't matter. Same goes for vehicle unlocks - Unlocks =/= Skill.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I could have all the vehicle packs in the world. I still would not have the first fecking clue what I'm doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

"he doesn't have the time to unlock all the guns."

And it effects you how ? because you earned it well good for you and sure if he happy and had to pay for the privallage to get better guns well more fool him

in medel of honor teir 1 they had the same perk..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

This is great, I'm getting the vehicle unlocks tonight.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    This is great, I'm getting the vehicle unlocks tonight.

I salute you and your bulging wallet.

I salute you and your bulging wallet.

What is it? A tenner? Last of the big spenders!

If its a tenner its well worth it to avoid having to sink the amount of time required to obtain all the unlocks.

I had a quick look last night. Think a class is about €7. Can't remember the vehicles, you could pick air or ground, or both combined.
    I'm happy with all my classes even though I've loads to unlock. I'm crap in jets and helis, never even bother with them. I'd take a jeep ahead of a jet. Would be good to give it a go with the unlocks.
    As for tanks, I enjoy using them, but would enjoy it even more if i had all the unlocks!

There's a co-op "shortcut" too, would be handy for people who never play it. Anyone know if there's any good guns in there?

^ Ya the G3A3, excellent mid to long range assault weapon.
    It has the lowest ROF of all the assault rifles but the highest damage after the patch.

I've out sniped snipers with it, strap the m27Mass with dart rounds on the rail and you're a beast at all ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm gonna buy all the packs, then I'm gonna pay someone to play the game for me. I can only afford a mediocre player right now, but hopefully after next pay cheque I'll be able to afford an advanced player.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I would pay for a stat reset just to hear that little noise that means you got new shít.

• Advertisement
Advertisement