Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying back the GEM loan

Options
  • 04-04-2012 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

This might be a bit early because there's only one year of gems working (I think) but I was wondering if anyone knows how they're getting on with paying back the student loan? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 iscr

That's like asking a 4 year old do they think Santa is real. How dare you bring reality and practicality into our dreams of being doctors!!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭foreverandever

iscr wrote: »
    That's like asking a 4 year old do they think Santa is real. How dare you bring reality and practicality into our dreams of being doctors!!

And I heard the Easter Bunny isn't real either...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭EugeneOnegin

Current GEM here...I've tried working and keeping the interest down. Haven't made that big a dent in it but that's for future me to worry about it. In the meanwhile I'll just keep buying lotto tickets.

Current GEM here...I've tried working and keeping the interest down. Haven't made that big a dent in it but that's for future me to worry about it. In the meanwhile I'll just keep buying lotto tickets.

Are you still in college though? I'm just wondering about afterwards, working as an intern, sho etc and paying it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭EugeneOnegin

Thankfully yes, still in college. First batch of UL (and RCSI?) GEMs are currently interns. Not sure how they worked it out- the ones I know of didn't take the loan.
    I would imagine it will be difficult enough to pay back the full loan- but not impossible. Basic intern salary isn't all that impressive.
    Nonetheless, a small price to pay if you really want to do GEM.

• Advertisement

Thankfully yes, still in college. First batch of UL (and RCSI?) GEMs are currently interns. Not sure how they worked it out- the ones I know of didn't take the loan.
    I would imagine it will be difficult enough to pay back the full loan- but not impossible. Basic intern salary isn't all that impressive.
    Nonetheless, a small price to pay if you really want to do GEM.

That's true, I agree about the salary also. And with these cuts and caps in salary pay I was just wondering have the fees been set too high!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭51533823

That's true, I agree about the salary also. And with these cuts and caps in salary pay I was just wondering have the fees been set too high!

Current GEM here too. Remember that the interns salary is only for one year.

I have this loan and when I took it out the lady told me that they were having to be very flexible with the current grads (from UL) about repayments - I took this to mean that the grads were paying very little of it at that stage.

My hope is that as it is an unsecured loan (in my case), and as long as it stays that way, I'm the boss (to some degree). I hope to pay it back at my discretion on graduating.

Hope is a wonderful thing.

Yeah unfortunately you earn more as an intern than a sho, think coz of the six months tax credits, more call and less extras to pay. Heard somewhere an sho earns roughly 10 euro more than an intern per week?!

Advertisement