Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gearbox oil change = crunching gears

Options
  • 04-04-2012 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Hi I done a gear box oil change and when i geardown into second gear it crunches even at very low speeds (like going into first gear at speed) I added Molyslip Gearbox Protection but no joy ... I'm going to adjust the clutch cable tomorrow to see if that helps, anybody any tips ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

If its a Fiat Ducato based camper, 1st/2nd gear hub/syncros tend to wear on certain versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Hi I done a gear box oil change and when i geardown into second gear it crunches even at very low speeds (like going into first gear at speed) I added Molyslip Gearbox Protection but no joy ... I'm going to adjust the clutch cable tomorrow to see if that helps, anybody any tips ???

Most likely the 1st-2nd gear synchro hub. Gearbox strip down. (presumably this problem was there before you changed the gear oil).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

swarlb wrote: »
    If its a Fiat Ducato based camper, 1st/2nd gear hub/syncros tend to wear on certain versions.
    Yeah its a Talbot express/fiat ducato/peuegot j5/citeron c25
    johnayo wrote: »
    (presumably this problem was there before you changed the gear oil).
    No it wasnt a problem before the oil change and literally the first drive after it started crunching

That particular model of gearbox was not used after 1993. Difficult enough to find parts. PM if you wish and I can check if you need parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

what oil did you use?

• Advertisement

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    what oil did you use?
    Hi Aidan I used Semi-Synthetic 75w90 (GL5) it was recommended on http://www.jktowers.fsnet.co.uk/motorhome/TalbotExpressGearbox.htm ... I also filled it to the new oil level to prevent 5 gear going dry and added Molyslip gear box protector ... But it seems that somehow 2nd gear is crunching now

what oil did you use?
    If I drained it and used different oil would it make a difference or is it too late now? ... I adjusted the clutch cable but no joy still crunching :(

That particular model of gearbox was not used after 1993. Difficult enough to find parts. PM if you wish and I can check if you need parts.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talbot_Express ... This is the camper ive the trouble with - Can you find the part/synchro for it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talbot_Express ... This is the camper ive the trouble with - Can you find the part/synchro for it?

If its a Fiat, I may be able to help. The 'box may be the same as used in the other makes, but I do not know. There were 2 engine types for Fiat 1.9 and 2.5 plus turbo versions of same.
    The only way to know for certain is to strip the 'box and have a look.
    The various quadrants on which the gear linkage attached also had a tendancy to fail. Depends on LHD or RHD. Column or floor gear shift.

The only way to know for certain is to strip the 'box and have a look.
    Stripping a box is way out of my league ... if its getting stripped it will be by the person whos fixing it and it would be too late then to start looking for parts, Ill try some of the Talbot forums to see if I can find out there, Thanks for helping swarlb

• Advertisement

swarlb , do you work in Fiat spare parts?

dickwod1 , I'd try that on 80w90 mineral oil .

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

my old 1990 ducato had ATF in when i drained it, i did a bit of head scratching and made a few calls to old timers that would know a bit more that i did about it,

what i was told put ATF back in if you had no problems before,
    i did what i was told and kept an eye on the level via dipstick at back of the box, as i was aware that if rain water got into box and mixed with the atf id be having a smashing time:eek: but never had a problem with it,

aidan is that normal for ducato 1990 to have ATF in it and not 80w90?

dickwod1 , I'd try that on 80w90 mineral oil.
    I'll give that a go and see what happens

I'll give that a go and see what happens
    Just changed it and brought it on a spin but unfortunately it still crunching although its a tiny bit better (less crunchy at almost stopped speed) ... I'll have to learn to drive it a bit different use 3rd like 2nd for slow speeds etc. as I dont have the €600 + parts to get it fixed for a while, Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice.

swarlb , do you work in Fiat spare parts?

Yes

not normal , you'd hear of some people using it , but it's not the accepted norm .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Is it possible the drain down shifted some swarf in the box???

In another fiat engine I have there is an end plate on the gearbox that can be removed easily enough to remove swarf ( it's a 1.9jtd engine)... Haven't my ducato here today to compare but yours might be the same??

If it's an option might be worth cleaning it out before putting anymore miles on it.
    Marty.

Advertisement