Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economic Careers

Options
  • 04-04-2012 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

What are some careers related to economics. I'm very interested in it but more the theory, not a big lover of the graphs and stuff, but yeah what are some careers out there that I could look into?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

What do you mean when you say you like the theory, but aren't a big lover of the graphs and stuff; as far as can tell economics is pretty much all graphs all of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

andrew wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say you like the theory, but aren't a big lover of the graphs and stuff; as far as can tell economics is pretty much all graphs all of the time.

I think s/he means the theory eg why things happen, understanding it but not going into the details/actual work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I suppose there was only one graph in the General Theory...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

EdenHazard wrote: »
    What are some careers related to economics. I'm very interested in it but more the theory, not a big lover of the graphs and stuff, but yeah what are some careers out there that I could look into?

A lecturer in UCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

All of the graphs are theory, to represent how markets react to certain changes. (i.e a graph to illistrate the change in demand when there is a change in price in micro, or for example the change in quantity supplied when there is a tariff introduced to a market in macro).

Essentially, all of Economics is theory. Economics isn't actually a study of markets per se, it's a social science, studying how variables will interact under varying circumstances. Some of the less financial side of Economics is transport Economics or health economics. Game theory is also a study of decision making based on communal circumstances and how to position yourself best within these circumstances by having predetermined "moves" available to make.

Regarding your question OP, careers in Economics vary. Within Politics / Public Sector, aspects such as formulating public policy, city planning and infrastructure planning, health service planning.

There are also areas in media such as analysis and commentary.

There are areas in private sector, such as market analysis and strategic corporate planning, it's also highly compatable in various areas of financial services, in areas such as trading, where an understanding of market conditions is crucial, and other areas where a high level of numeracy is required, an Economics degree or higher would stand to you.

At doctorate level, you can be defined as an "Economist" with opportunities in Government or as a senior member / board member in various institutions, mostly financial, or as a consultant on Economics matters.

There are also strong aspects of research relating to the study of Economics, whereyou can persue careers also.

Many other branch of careers that can be followed too, not directly relating to Economics, but where a base degree in Economics will work strongly in your favour in gaining employment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement