Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piano students- financial problems

Options
  • 04-04-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I was wondering if any other music teachers are having a similar problem to me.

I may have been a bit lucky but I have never had much of a problem with people not paying for lessons. I usually get mine to pay for the term in advance, and while some families do break up the payments over the term (and I have no problem with this) I have had a more than a couple in the term just gone who haven't paid anything. I have sent texts/notes home and every week the child has been sent in with out a word from parents. I had to send a message to the parents involved this morning saying that if the fees aren't cleared by the beginning of next term I won't be able to take them back. has anyone else had this problem recently? I know financial times are hard but I have essentially been giving free classes to these people all term and I am feeling the pinch.

Am afraid now that if I give ultimatums that they will just leave and I will never get paid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Essentially it's like any other job and you need to get paid. I would really push it if it's something thats happening a lot, especially seeing as you are doing it with upfront payments.

A few of my students pay by the session, and if they didn't have the money one week sure I'l just carry it on to the next or whatever these things happen. But if it was a payment for a term, I wouldn't be teaching anything until I had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

It's a tricky situation because on one hand you're providing a professional service, and are just as entitled as a doctor, lawyer or accountant to get paid for what you do. But on the other, as a music teacher you'll have a close relationship with your students' families, and (particularly in Ireland, sadly) that tends to make people think they're entitled to some laxity and favour-asking when it comes to paying for the service.

But yes, if they go a whole term without paying, they're basically just exploiting you, and you've done exactly right by telling them to get their fees cleared immediately. It can be hard sometimes, if you've grown fond of a student, to put the foot down, but you can't be expected to work for free.

I've worked in a couple of music schools, and both have been pretty open-minded when it comes to fees, particularly since the recession began. They'll structure the payment however is most convenient for the customer (weekly, monthly, by term, whatever), but if it comes to it, and they haven't paid for a term, they're let go. There's no other option. Fortunately, it's only come to that once or twice - in general, families will pay up if the threat of not taking the student back is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I have had major issues with this. I charge on a monthly basis and since Christmas I have been in arrears due two at least two months of no payment or very late payment by several people.

It is very awkward, especially when teaching children. I hate having to tell them the fee is due after their parents not responding to reminders via texts, notes etc..

It's very, very frustrating. I have lowered my rates and I am very accommodating up to a point with late payments. It's gotten to the stage where I think people are taking advantage. If it were any other profession it would not be acceptable to expect a service without payment, yet somehow with music lessons people seem to think it's ok.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭clunked

Hmm, never under-estimate the capacity of some people to take advantage of a situation to plead poverty (when it may not be the case) in order to get something on the cheap. Defend your own right to earn a living giving music lessons. If some see a weakness, you may be the one to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

I have no problem if people come to me and say 'do you mind if I pay later or spread payments', what I do take serious issue with is when people say nothing and ignore reminders.

I have had to send out 2 messages to parents saying I cannot take the students back until fees are cleared. So far one has dropped out but will pay outstanding fees this week (yeah right) and the other was 'sick' last week.

It really grates as I would be mortified if it were me. It also seems that the people who are late paying are generally the ones who can afford it, whereas others who may not be as well of generally make a huge effort to pay on time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Are the students signed up for grade exams? When it comes to a head you'll probably end up paying for that too. Think you'll need to do a face to face when the parent does the pickup/dropoff or call on the auld phone!

Advertisement