Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Shoe , Black or Brown ?

Options
  • 04-04-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all , I work in a large multi national company, where there is a good mix of Europeans.

I am old school Irish man, therefore a good black shoe is the standard , I was wondering what other people taught's where on the wearing of brightly coloured business shoes, with every/any colour of Business suit.

example
    Black Pin strip with a very light tan shoe
    Light Gray suite with a Brown shoe.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Hate brown shoes with a passion, so black gets my vote

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Morlock

awec wrote: »
    I wouldn't wear brown with black. Brown with navy maybe.

Last time I was in getting fitted for a suit I asked the guy about this, he said that brown shoes are popular with navy suits as inspired by Londoners, but that if you do wear them your shoes will be the focus point of your outfit rather than say for example, your tie.

Nice one , thats a very good point . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Morlock

Hate brown shoes with a passion, so black gets my vote

Okay I seen a pair in Blanchardstown shopping centre, they where a pointer style shoe, so you need at least to go up one size to get in them, they where a tiny checked design, they where a black white Gray, cloth finish, what's your taught's

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SEEMagazine

Black... always black. I tan, had jet black hair, so black always suited.

I like browns and greens, but only in casual wear.

• Advertisement

Morlock wrote: »
    Okay I seen a pair in Blanchardstown shopping centre, they where a pointer style shoe, so you need at least to go up one size to get in them, they where a tiny checked design, they where a black white Gray, cloth finish, what's your taught's

How much is the bet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Black all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

What color shoe you wear depends entirely on the color of your suit or pants.

Black shoes can really only be worn with grey and black suits well.

Navy suit or a light colored suit with black shoes looks awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Black shoes with Black or grey suit.

Navy suit - brown or black shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

I work in suits and I know that some people like the look but I have never seen brown shoes look well with anything bar jeans on a day off. So black shoes!

• Advertisement

ihsb wrote: »
    I work in suits and I know that some people like the look but I have never seen brown shoes look well with anything bar jeans on a day off. So black shoes!

They really are for geography teachers, they match the elbow pads

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

Hazys wrote: »
    What color shoe you wear depends entirely on the color of your suit or pants.

Black shoes can really only be worn with grey and black suits well.

Navy suit or a light colored suit with black shoes looks awful.

That's the full jist of it really. In all my time wearing suits I've only really found brown shoes to work with brown, grey, silver or navy suits; Black shoes are really just too overpowering against them. Brown shoes on a black suit though just looks weird.

The only match I've found rather difficult is against a white pair of pants; I can't get anything to work other than a pair of white shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

From a cultural or fitting in perspective, if it is a formal business environment (as opposed to business 'casual' - ugh don't like that term) then I would always go with black shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Black, brown shoes just look like you stepped in something.

Sugar Free wrote: »
    From a cultural or fitting in perspective, if it is a formal business environment (as opposed to business 'casual' - ugh don't like that term) then I would always go with black shoes.

It's a shame the Irish attitude to looking after your appearance. Its not about following the latest fashion trends or wearing skinny jeans but making an effort to dress well when you leaving the house not go out in baggy tracksuit pants and a hoody. I love looking at the old school pictures of Cork City back in the 1920s/30s wear all the men in town are wearing their 3 piece suits going about their business, nowadays most people in town look like they just got out of bed. I wonder what happened to those days?

I try to dress as well as I can and anything i wear different to my mates is open the ridicule. Latest was my jeans were too short, aka they didnt go past the heals of my shoe and were not in tatters from scraping off the ground.

I was in NYC at the weekend and its a fantastic place to people watch and see what people wear. Again its not people wearing skinny jeans so tight it cuts circulation off to their feet or v-neck t-shirts down to their bellybutton (you do see some of that alright), its well dressed people, making the effort and its great to see...pity our "just fit in or look like an eejit" culture scares people from being individuals.

You give off because your mates have a go at your dress sense and then proceed to declare that anyone who dress sense varies from your own is not well dressed? :confused:

Aye, dead on.

Everyones idea of "well dressed" is different.

PS - if you can see your socks at all when you stand up in your jeans then to put it simply your jeans are too short. They should at least cover your shoe a little. Actually rest on your shoe really (i.e. not hover above). If they go past the heel of your shoe then they are too long.

You give off because I implied that my mates who have their jeans in tatters is badly dressed when everyones idea of "well dressed" is different then you proceed to declare that wearing your jeans past your heel is badly dressed? :confused:

Aye, dead on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Dark brown shoe with a navy suit looks very well, black shoes look like an afterthought with anything other than grey or black suits. Slip ons + suits don't look right in my opinion, unless you are Don Johnson..in which case i salute you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

You wear your jeans above your heel?

Wearing jeans that don't fit can hardly be described as well dressed?

Being dressed well has to suit your life style as much as anything else. You can wear you're, nicely fitted jeans but if your wearing a chunky pair of shoes/sneakers your going to look wrong.

Your legs look like golf clubs

same if you wear baggy jeans with a pair of those god awful pumps. its looks wrong.. because you've got a pair of shoes that look like match sticks...

It can be gotten away with... Obvously not overly baggy that there hang of me thighs :)

personally with me anything formal i were black shoes with a flat toed point, My suits are slim fit... So I think that slim suit suit pointed shoes How ever i think brown shoes can suit badge suits with a light blue shirt and tweed suits b but i would wear brown and gray it does look good but i don't think it looks right well for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Hazys wrote: »
    I was in NYC at the weekend and its a fantastic place to people watch and see what people wear. Again its not people wearing skinny jeans so tight it cuts circulation off to their feet or v-neck t-shirts down to their bellybutton (you do see some of that alright), its well dressed people, making the effort and its great to see...pity our "just fit in or look like an eejit" culture scares people from being individuals.

Where were you in New York. Any time I have been there I just see all kinds of people wearing all kinds of clothes, then again I tend to travel all around the City when i am there.

Also, regarding individuals, if everyone "dress well" then I imagine a lot of people would be wearing similar clothes/cuts anyway...so I really don't see your point there.

• Advertisement

You wear your jeans above your heel?

Wearing jeans that don't fit can hardly be described as well dressed?

(I'm not actually judging you here, what you or anyone else wears I don't overly care, just turning your own logic against you. :) )

If you do wear your jeans above your heel, go into a suit shop and get fitted, and tell them you want the trousers above the heel cause that's what well dressed people do and see what they say. ;)

I try to wear jeans or pants that have one break on the shoe, so yeah just around the heel is where they end.

Unfortunately i'm leg length 33 so i always buy 34 and get them taken up.

Where were you in New York. Any time I have been there I just see all kinds of people wearing all kinds of clothes, then again I tend to travel all around the City when i am there.

Also, regarding individuals, if everyone "dress well" then I imagine a lot of people would be wearing similar clothes/cuts anyway...so I really don't see your point there.

If you hang out in the lower east side/greenwich village or brooklyn you'll see a lot of well dressed people (a lot of hipster dress also). If you go to tourist spots, you'll see well...tourists and a broad spectrum dress.

As for the individual point, most people are influenced by what they see on other people so people who dress well, will dress similar to other well dressed people. The only point i was trying to make about individualism was that if you are restricted by the "just fit in or look like an eejit" culture, even if you wanted to dress well, you wouldnt because of the fear of being an eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mc_grens

Black with a black suit.

Black or brown with a grey/ navy suit. Depends on shirt/ tie/ mood.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Depends on the suit imo and i wear a suit everyday for work

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Once you go black, you never go brown again.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

biko wrote: »
    Once you go black, you never go brown again.

I love my brown shoes, though at this point I'll only buy Clarks and their Brown shoes are all a lot nicer than their black; I don't know why but to me their brown shoes just look more natural.

I found some people are really put off by brown shoes though; I know this one girl, absolute stunner, cannot for the life of her look at mens brown shoes and is completely put off a guy if she sees him wearing a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm actually trying to get back to brown but black shoes just go really well with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The safest bet is always to go with black shoes. If you really fancy wearing brown shoes, then you will only look nice with dark brown shoes imo (with any suit colour except black).
    You tend to see a lot of 'flash harrys' with light brown pointy shoes and light gray suits or pin-stripe suits and it just looks so cheap and tacky.
    I prefer to keep brown shoes for casual wear, chhinos or jeans etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

A gentleman does not wear brown around town is what I have lived by. I can't think of anything aside from a brown suit that brown shoes would go well with, even with a navy suit it looks odd. Brown is an ugly colour in general.

I would think very well buffed black shoes go with anything, but with a grey or black suit you could go for mirror shine if you so chose.

Advertisement