Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin type watch buying in the states

Options
  • 04-04-2012 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm going to the states on holidays next week and I was thinking of picking up a Garmin type watch.
    I'm a runner and also do triathlons so I'd like to get something that will be of benefit to me for both.
    I'd be grateful for any recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi there,
    I'm going to the states on holidays next week and I was thinking of picking up a Garmin type watch.
    I'm a runner and also do triathlons so I'd like to get something that will be of benefit to me for both.
    I'd be grateful for any recommendations.

In my opinion, the best deal at the moment is the Forerunner 310XT from Amazon.com for $250. You just need to get it sent to a delivery address in the US (it's unlikely you'll find this kind of price in brick and mortar shops, and will have to add an additional state tax). So if you have a shipping address while you're in the US (friend etc.) then this is the way to go. You can also pick it up with a HRM for $299.

In my opinion, the best deal at the moment is the Forerunner 310XT from Amazon.com for $250. You just need to get it sent to a delivery address in the US (it's unlikely you'll find this kind of price in brick and mortar shops, and will have to add an additional state tax). So if you have a shipping address while you're in the US (friend etc.) then this is the way to go. You can also pick it up with a HRM for $299.

will they take EU credit card?

glasso wrote: »
    will they take EU credit card?
    They surely will. They just won't take an EU address!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Is this the one with the really long battery life? Ive lost track of which one is better for ultra running

Yes, it has a long battery life (up to 20 hours). Realistically, you can probably expect less though.

• Advertisement

Yes, it has a long battery life (up to 20 hours). Realistically, you can probably expect less though.

safe to assume 16 hours I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Thanks a mill, I have family that I can get it delivered to so thats perfect! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 collym

Has anyone here used the new 910XT - looks pretty aweome?

collym wrote: »
    Has anyone here used the new 910XT - looks pretty aweome?
    Me. 800 miles of running clocked-up so far. A small amount of swimming and cycling.

Me. 800 miles of running clocked-up so far. A small amount of swimming and cycling.

How do you find it functionally? Easy to use? Worth the money? I hope to use it for all 3 activities...

• Advertisement

collym wrote: »
    How do you find it functionally? Easy to use? Worth the money? I hope to use it for all 3 activities...
    I have found it great, but a little buggy. For two of my runs to date (over the last 2.5 months) it has recorded my location as being almost 15 miles away from my actual position, and recorded running paces of up to 2.5 min/mile (on the same occasions). I have also found some bugs with how it manages courses, and advanced workouts with nested repeat loops, but most users will not take advantage of these features. Otherwise, it has been great and a massive improvement on my Forerunner 405 (which wasn't shy of a few bugs either). In other words a great piece of kit, that will improve with a few firmware updates.

Worth the money? Thankfully it was a gift, but I would have bought one anyway, so worth the money for me (though I would have bought mine in the US for cheaper).

Easy to use? Yes, certainly, if you're used to the Forerunner type of user interface (takes a bit of getting used to) and some advanced features are not described at all in the manual.

I have found it great, but a little buggy. For two of my runs to date (over the last 2.5 months) it has recorded my location as being almost 15 miles away from my actual position, and recorded running paces of up to 2.5 min/mile (on the same occasions). I have also found some bugs with how it manages courses, and advanced workouts with nested repeat loops, but most users will not take advantage of these features. Otherwise, it has been great and a massive improvement on my Forerunner 405 (which wasn't shy of a few bugs either). In other words a great piece of kit, that will improve with a few firmware updates.

Worth the money? Thankfully it was a gift, but I would have bought one anyway, so worth the money for me (though I would have bought mine in the US for cheaper).

Easy to use? Yes, certainly, if you're used to the Forerunner type of user interface (takes a bit of getting used to) and some advanced features are not described at all in the manual.

Great! Thanks for that. Guess I'm already sold because I've just ordered one...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I would just add having 4 fields and the extra battery life was worth the upgrade for me (I did have vouchers to use though) and I find it does lock on satellites quicker than the 405. Looking forward to getting it out on the bike after the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I would just add having 4 fields and the extra battery life was worth the upgrade for me (I did have vouchers to use though) and I find it does lock on satellites quicker than the 405. Looking forward to getting it out on the bike after the marathon.

For all you Garminites out there - you can get that a lot cheaper with the Timex Run Trainer. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

For all you Garminites out there - you can get that a lot cheaper with the Timex Run Trainer. ;)

would consider it if it didn't have Ironman on it. Its like buying a PC with intel inside and built for windows stickers. How is the HRM on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

rom wrote: »
    would consider it if it didn't have Ironman on it. Its like buying a PC with intel inside and built for windows stickers. How is the HRM on it ?

Funnily enough, my 3 month old work laptop arrived fully adorned with intel inside & Windows 7 stickers. :D

Honestly, I don't even notice the Ironman logo on it. Find the HRM pretty good, only once did the watch not pick up the strap, but I was only after putting it on in a rush ahead of a group run, so didn't have time to hang about til it had a good contact.

Don't have any previous experience of HRMs to compare it to, but so far it appears to work pretty well to me.

Advertisement