Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exploitation and Malware Challenges

Options
  • 03-04-2012 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Following on from damo's web exploitation challenges, I was thinking of setting up a host I registered with some buffer overflow & format string vulnerability challenges, along with some malware challenges which would follow later in the year.

These would be very similar to Gera's insecure programming challenges, with the ultimate aim of teaching people how to exploit a vast range of vulnerabilities. I would step through each of the Gera insecure programming challenges and host some of my own ones as well.

Is this something that people would be interested in?

Would you be interested in this? 10 votes

Yes!
    0%
    No! Go away!
    100%
    LoLthschrodingerKur4mAsyklopsh57xiucj2z946q[-0-]PeterHughesJimmyCrackCorn900913infodox 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

No! Go away!
    Im definitely interested in giving these a go. I have not done this since the days of dos.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭900913

No! Go away!
    Yeah yeah, I'd be interested in getting some base knowledge in these type of challenges.

I will need lots of help and I'd love more knowledge on this subject..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

No! Go away!
    Grand job. I'll have something up this weekend.

WolfgangWeisen - I'm going to be giving code examples of vulnerabilities and asking the lads to exploit them on their own machines.

I'm currently using x86-64 so I'm certain my solutions will not work on other people's machines, so it's really going to be down to the individual to figure it out on their own machine. The arch shouldn't matter at all though. I've never looked at assembly for 64 bit before and I was able to figure out this stuff pretty quickly and I haven't actually touched assembly in years either.

Expect to see a few challenges similar to Gera's this weekend. I want to change them around a bit so that people don't go Googling and just post the solutions to those here. I'll also need you to post the "disas main" output along with your solution so I can verify it, but I'll post more about that on Saturday/Sunday.

Cheers lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

No! Go away!
    While waiting for [-0-]'s challenge this weekend, you can practice on this one now from an older challenge of mine. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056368594
    Note, the server is no longer alive, but the binary is available so you can practice locally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement