Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basking Shark

Options
  • 03-04-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭

DSCN0490.JPG

Just to let those interested know their back. Saw this near clonakilty yesterday. Are they a little early? I would normally notice them about from the end of april / start of may.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I've seen them in mid april before. Don't think its too early for them but open to correction.

Just checked the Irish Whale and Dolphin groups website and there has been a lot of sightings recently.

Your pic looks like you were close? They are some sight up close and personal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Fairly impressive alright, anytime I see them its always the same spot and about 20 - 30 metres from the shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Vizzy

The one and only time I saw one was from my own boat about 100 metres from shore.
    And when a 17 or 18 ft shark swims by about 10 or 12 feet from you it is impressive alright (especially when your in a 15ft boat):D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oh Hell Oui!

would love to see one from shore, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I wouldn't be an expert by any means and as I have said I only saw one in about 7 or 8 summers fishng from the boat.
    Achill island used be the "basking shark" capital of the British Isles but i'm not sure if there are any left at this stage.
    I spotted my lad off Helvick in Waterford.You could watch from the cliff but I suspect that it is too early in the year yet.
    Even if you dont spot a basking shark there are loads more to see,seals,the odd angel fish and maybe a blue shark.Oh and countless interesting birds.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Id see them each summer off the galley head in Cork, as far as i know the other headlands are just as good. Old head probably being most acessible from the city.
    Id normally see them a few fays into a prolonged warm spell but theres no guarantees. A normal hot week and id pretty much expect them to be there at least once.
    Some sightings are reported on www.iwdg.ie so u could probably cut the risk by checking that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,667 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Vizzy wrote: »
    I wouldn't be an expert by any means and as I have said I only saw one in about 7 or 8 summers fishng from the boat.
    Achill island used be the "basking shark" capital of the British Isles but i'm not sure if there are any left at this stage.
    I spotted my lad off Helvick in Waterford.You could watch from the cliff but I suspect that it is too early in the year yet.
    Even if you dont spot a basking shark there are loads more to see,seals,the odd angel fish and maybe a blue shark.Oh and countless interesting birds.
    Best of luck.

Achill is still good for this species - I've seen a few there over recent summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oh Hell Oui!

Great thanks for the replies and ideas. Hopefully I'll get a glimpse this summer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

They often appear between Lambay island and Malahide beach (North County Dublin) during the summer.

Advertisement