Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple and jobseekers allowance/Rent alowance?

Options
  • 03-04-2012 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend is living in an apartment the past 5 months and she is on jobseekers which she gets 100 euro as she is 21.She also gets rent allowance for the aprtement which is 80per week. I am on BETA and get 188 per week. She got a letter from the CWO stating her rent limit has to come down from 465euro a month which she is paying currently to 390 euro a month. Now the landloard will not take a 75euro cut and leaving is not an option as it is a years lease, but as a couple the rent maximum is 450 a month

So my question is if i was to move in with her as a couple how would are jobseekers be effected and if i was to be the adult dependant would i have to be the one claiming rent allowance, as i am not on the housing list or have not been renting for 6 months would that mean she would have to be the adult dependant?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

If you move in then you better do it quickly there is a time limit on those forms being sent back

secondly if you move in then you need to inform the cwo and the social welfare, as for you payments well the rent allowance will take into account that you are now living as a couple and so the limits for a couple will apply

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

your social welfare will see you as a couple also so will asses you accordingly

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/BasicSupplementaryWelfareAllowance.aspx

so she is 21 and getting 100 and you must be over 24 and getting the full rate so as a couple you can claim up to 310.80 a week not including rent allowance so both your rates will stay the same due to your ages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

edellc wrote: »
    If you move in then you better do it quickly there is a time limit on those forms being sent back

secondly if you move in then you need to inform the cwo and the social welfare, as for you payments well the rent allowance will take into account that you are now living as a couple and so the limits for a couple will apply

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

your social welfare will see you as a couple also so will asses you accordingly

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/BasicSupplementaryWelfareAllowance.aspx

so she is 21 and getting 100 and you must be over 24 and getting the full rate so as a couple you can claim up to 310.80 a week not including rent allowance so both your rates will stay the same due to your ages

This is not necessarily true. OP needs to go to his sw office and find out exactly what the result of him being co-hab. OP is on BTEA and g/friend is on jsa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

the rent allowance will take into account that you are now living as a couple and so the limits for a couple will apply

sorry just read ^^^ that bit of my post and want to clarify that the rent allowance rate for a couple will apply but as the girlfriend is already there and is claiming rent of 390 then that is what you have to stick with as you cannot once you move in say that your rent is 450

as for the rates the social welfare will give you that is correct 100 euro for your girlfriend as she is 21 and as your over 25 then you will still receive 188

Op do go down to the welfare office and enquire by all means after all we are just posting our own experiences and what we google and it is the social welfare that can confirm or correct what we post and only they can clarify your social welfare payments

as for your rent you need to see the local cwo who will let you know what your entitlements are regarding your rent

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sankly89

interesting conversation! i would tend too agree with edelic thou.

my own situation is simular too andy but less complicated i hope!
    me and my girlfriend are expecting our first child shortly. we both are still living at home, she recieves job seekers allowence and i work full time on a temp contract. i need help in regards too rent allowance. she in on the housing list but we are being told that we could be waiting up to 8 years!!!! she has decided too apply for rent allowence, the community welfare officer told her she can recieve up too 875 in rent allowence when the baby comes if she is single and its just her and the baby. my question is if i decide too move in when she finnally gets a place will the rent allowence be slashed???????? Also will she still recieve her job seekers allowence if i move in and i am still working?????

please help and give any advice or simular circumstances PLEASE. THANKS

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

A single parent or a couple who are both unemployed will usually get social welfare and rent allowance. It is obviously means tested, but no job usually means no income. There are also other conditions.

If you, as a working man, move in with the girl, she is means tested against your income. Depending on your income, she might get nothing. You might get FIS, if your income is low.

If you do not live with her, you can claim a lone parents tax credit from revenue, particularly if you pay maintenance for the child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mgsguru

me ans my girlfriend are both on jobseekers claiming €100 a week each i already have a home and get rent allowance but me and my girlfriend are ready to move in together which means we would be cohabiting how much would we recieve as a cohabiting couple on jobseekers allowance and would the rent allowance go down because of this help..

Advertisement