Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Machinima vids

Options
  • 03-04-2012 1:53am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,098 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So recently we've had a few people regularly posting vids which are on their Machinima director accounts, and thus have the potential to earn them revenue.

The BF mods don't object to these, though there are people who do regard them as equivalent to spam. In the more general case of the entire games category, there's also no objection to them there either. Nor are the posters necessarily just dumping their vids and running either.

On the issue of revenue, the levels of income to be received from the views obtained from boards.ie users viewing them is pretty token. While I'm not entirely comfortable with the overall concept of someone making money off boards.ie users, the amounts are so small that I don't think this aspect really matters, and of course none of this is at cost to boards.ie users ultimately.

What does matter is that these videos are garnering a good few thanks each time, so people do clearly appreciate them. And ultimately what difference is there if the original creator posts or it someone else stumbles across it and posts it here? This way people do get to see new vids prompt from the original content creators.

But a new thread for each vid is a bit much, and may be heightening the perception of them as spam, so in future I'll be more insistent on them being contained in the pre-existing BF vids thread, which is here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056409736

If people have opinions or objections etc, this is the place to raise them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I thought they'd all fit under the Battlefield Videos thread comfortably, but at the rate they're being posted, it would just drown out the indie and boardsies posts in there.

Giving an individual poster a thread to post all their vids could possibly kill off the Video's thread entirely though, or worse, having 10+ users regularly updating their own thread will bump it above everything in this forum, and you'd be looking at page 2+ to find any actual discussion material.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,098 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I thought they'd all fit under the Battlefield Videos thread comfortably, but at the rate they're being posted, it would just drown out the indie and boardsies posts in there.

Giving an individual poster a thread to post all their vids could possibly kill off the Video's thread entirely though, or worse, having 10+ users regularly updating their own thread will bump it above everything in this forum, and you'd be looking at page 2+ to find any actual discussion material.

If there's any risk of them pushing out other threads, then we can simply change the practice, most likely to keep them to one thread. These things aren't set in stone.

Can we have some kind of attachment to the "your own thread" thing (if it gets the go ahead) of a minimum post count or something. seeing a first time poster just linking to his/her video to gain subs and money makes me feel so...used.

I know personally we dont lose any money, but make no mistake about it, when these Machinima/Respawn/Quantic guys look at boards, all they see is $$, not some discussion board to share opinions about Battlefield. They repost their vid without even changing the wording across battlelog, battlefieldO, boards, etc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,098 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Can we have some kind of attachment to the "your own thread" thing (if it gets the go ahead) of a minimum post count or something. seeing a first time poster just linking to his/her video to gain subs and money makes me feel so...used.

I know personally we dont lose any money, but make no mistake about it, when these Machinima/Respawn/Quantic guys look at boards, all they see is $$, not some discussion board to share opinions about Battlefield. They repost their vid without even changing the wording across battlelog, battlefieldO, boards, etc

There's two few examples right now to make any kind of hard and fast rules. In the case of fhrope he's regular enough that I'll give the leeway of his own thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

To be honest, I think this is totally unnecessary. If someone doesn't like any of the video threads then they have the choice of not watching. Mods are just giving themselves more work too, already we had one just merging all the Fhrope threads into one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Agree with karma, there's only 1 or 2 kicking up over nothing really. it's not like there's hundreds of them and they're usually good too.

karma_ wrote: »
    To be honest, I think this is totally unnecessary. If someone doesn't like any of the video threads then they have the choice of not watching. Mods are just giving themselves more work too, already we had one just merging all the Fhrope threads into one.
    So you're totally OK with posters such as patwaa joining boards for the sole purpose to gain hits and money?

Boards has a policy for businesses to become representatives with strict rules. I don't see how this is any different.

When does it stop? would your opinion be any different if there were 10 of them?
    how about if it wasn't well constructed videos, just a noob uploading rubbish and posting it here, in a new thread, everyday?

YouTube videos has emerged as a very successful business scheme. look how stuff like 'let's play' Minecraft took off. BF3 (and it's successors) is not long behind.

its different when you see a real boardsie uploading some of his indie stuff, that you might even featured in their video, or someone that you can put a voice and face to a name. that's community stuff and I'm all for it.

This spam is just an insult to all of us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

So you're totally OK with posters such as patwaa joining boards for the sole purpose to gain hits and money?

Boards has a policy for businesses to become representatives with strict rules. I don't see how this is any different.

When does it stop? would your opinion be any different if there were 10 of them?
    how about if it wasn't well constructed videos, just a noob uploading rubbish and posting it here, in a new thread, everyday?

YouTube videos has emerged as a very successful business scheme. look how stuff like 'let's play' Minecraft took off. BF3 (and it's successors) is not long behind.

its different when you see a real boardsie uploading some of his indie stuff, that you might even featured in their video, or someone that you can put a voice and face to a name. that's community stuff and I'm all for it.

This spam is just an insult to all of us.

Yes I'm fine with what they are doing. Anyone here could do the same, in fact we already had a boards.ie lad doing some vids of his own.

If I don't like the videos posted, then I wont watch and if these lads make a few quid out of it then so be it, like Spear said in the opening post, it's no great deal of money.

Let's not allow the boards.ie BF forum to become overly officious, things are grand, forum is active and alive, lets keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mick-fitz8585

This is way over the top where did this come from.

If anything we should probable have a dedicated BF PC forum that way we would be getting rid of most of the crap any hows (anything to do with xbox and ps3 that is lol) so it wont be hard to find the good topics. ..:rolleyes::p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I agree, this is a complete overreaction. Tea_Bag, if all you have to worry about is people posting links to videos on boards, then you might as well have nothing at all to worry about in life. :)

The fact that they are making money from posting videos on Youtube is exactly the age we're living in. As mentioned already, if you don't want to watch the video, don't watch it. There are plenty of us that do actually enjoy watching them.

• Advertisement

Decryptor wrote: »
    I agree, this is a complete overreaction.

I don't know if you're referring to a specific post or the thread in general, but it's not a case of single user with an issue, reporting posts is anonymous and private, so I'll just make the intentionally vague statement that it was more than one who saw an issue with vids like these.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I like money.

Spear wrote: »
    I don't know if you're referring to a specific post or the thread in general, but it's not a case of single user with an issue, reporting posts is anonymous and private, so I'll just make the intentionally vague statement that it was more than one who saw an issue with vids like these.
    well that's good to know, but where the hell are they? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mick-fitz8585

i think we all should just be glad the forum is active and be happy at that.

A few video's ant the end of the world people need to chillax

Advertisement