Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secure file delivery - asp.net or other options.

Options
  • 02-04-2012 9:43pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just looking for some pointers here as to how to deliver downloads to logged in users.

Problem:
    Teh boss wants a secure area on the site that requires users (clients) to have registered an account in order to gain access to certain files - tech documents, vids etc that we don't want the public to have access to.

Thinking:
    I have MS VS2010 available to code this in ASP.NET and am leaning towards this as the best option so far as it's a natural progression from VB.NET which I'm (reasonably) proficient at - the rest of the site (basically a brochure site) is already done in in a mix of EW4 / jquery / etc.

ASP.NET also has a pretty solid user login/management system, but, lacks any usable front end user administration - however, there is enough info on Google to code a workable admin page for this.

I'm thinking I would need to implement something like this where the required file is streamed via backend code from a non-public location on the server.

Am I on the right track here or have I missed something obvious and / or easier to implement?

Are there any decent plug and play solutions for this out there? If spending a few quid on it meant it saved a heap of time then it's viable although I wouldn't mind gaining the ASPX experience either..

Any suggestions welcome. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Bump.

Anyone?

Advertisement