Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peat's Electronics in liquidation

Options
  • 02-04-2012 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭

:o
    As the title suggests, Peat's World of Electronics has gone into liquidation.

While they were never the cheapest, It's sad to see another Irish high street shop go to the wall. It will be interesting to see if there is a liquidation sale.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

This is sad news. Used to go to Peats every week to get computer games and bits and bobs. Sad to see it go. Sign of the times. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

only thing is that its way too convenient to buy off amazon etc now and have it delivered to my door. Sign of the times in many ways

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Sad news indeed.
    Re a liquidation sale - the shops are shut and the staff are probably gone already - how would that work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Eoghan41

TheDriver wrote: »
    only thing is that its way too convenient to buy off amazon etc now and have it delivered to my door. Sign of the times in many ways

I much prefer browsing through cheaper stuff and having it delivered to my door rather than having to go through the hassle of town. This was always going to happen and I'm surprised they've lasted this long because they've always been far too expensive imho. It is sad to see them go but unless these stores are willing to adapt to the digital age then this won't be the last bricks and mortar chain we see go

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Not a bargain alert and not very nice considering loads of people just lost their jobs.....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Holy crap. I just bought a laptop off them last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

Have you ever looked at Peats website?
    The sooner Irish retailers accept that shoppers today, and almost every poster on here, does most of their browsing/shopping online, the sooner we'll see the back of an Irish retailer going out of business every day. They really are crap at understanding what their customers want. The evidence speaks for itself.
    Why can't an Irish retailer be successful online? Why not?
    Get with the programme lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭acb

recyclebin wrote: »
    Holy crap. I just bought a laptop off them last week.

Us too paid €1,069! :mad:3 weeks ago - every time we rang we got it 'hasnt been delivered yet'

We paid by credit card so I wonder can we get a refund from bank?
    Anyone know what story is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056594672

Mods - thread merge?

And eh, Bargain Alert??? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

acb wrote: »
    Us too paid €1,069! :mad:3 weeks ago - every time we rang we got it 'hasnt been delivered yet'

We paid by credit card so I wonder can we get a refund from bank?
    Anyone know what story is

If you buy something on a credit card (needs to be a credit card not debit or laser) and you don't receive it you'll get your money back from the credit card company. Call them ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

One of the reasons they/we've closed early rather than keep on trading is to look after the customers with outstanding issues. I believe no-one will be left in the lurch so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭positron

Ouch. I work right next door to them at Parnell St, and the place was open when I was leaving this evening, but I did notice one of the guys who work there coming into work at that time, which I did think was a bit strange. Now I know the reason. Such a shame.

Having said that, it IS very hard to compete against the online giants like Amazon etc, and I don't think Peats business model evolved with the changing market / times. Shame though, such a long history, and so many jobs lost..!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

One of the reasons they/we've closed early rather than keep on trading is to look after the customers with outstanding issues. I believe no-one will be left in the lurch so to speak.

So you worked there?

Anyone know what is likely to happen with the stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

God Father wrote: »
    So you worked there?

Anyone know what is likely to happen with the stock?

I did and right now no I'm not too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Aah I am very sad to hear of Peats going under. My deepest commiserations to Peaty and all the family.

I was a big customer of theirs in the late 70s & mid 80s when they had bins full of electronic stuff and I would pawn my underwear to get in there with a few quid. One time I bought the innards of a slot machine, that kept me busy for months! But I guess in the last 20 years I have spent, uh, €50 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭acb

If you buy something on a credit card (needs to be a credit card not debit or laser) and you don't receive it you'll get your money back from the credit card company. Call them ASAP.

Yeah know about this.... but I still worry........banks are just as bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

CLOSE this thread.

Distasteful tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Not a BA,

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement