Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI over powerline, or wireless?

Options
  • 02-04-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Has anyone got actual experience of sending a HDMI signal over the mains cabling in a house? Or over a wireless TX RX?

I guess most homes are in the same boat in that HDMI wasn't even around when I built my house and I now need to get from a Satellite Receiver in the attic to the HD TV in the front room. (Unfortunately HDMI over cat5/6 is not an option for me). Might be greedy as well and look to send digital sound as well from the Sat Receiver down to a processor. Bloody cabling, you'd need a dedicated trunking running around the home.

Thanks in advance, Bishop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Why is HDMI over cat5/6 not an option out of curiosity? HDMI over power lines is a much newer technology and as a result much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bishop22

Homer wrote: »
    Why is HDMI over cat5/6 not an option out of curiosity? HDMI over power lines is a much newer technology and as a result much more expensive.

Because I don't have cat5 running from the front room to the attic. Interested though in hearing from you Homer if there's a very good cat5 solution. Ty

• Registered Users Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Why is the satellite receiver in the attic and not with the TV as would be normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bishop22

A few reasons - 3G wireless Broadband Router in the attic, 2 x CCTV DVR's in the attic, Terrestial aerial in the attic. I have all of these hooked up to the 'Combo' Sat Receiver so that I can distribute Saorview and CCTV images throughout the house.

Difficult to bring all of these services down to the front room into the Sat receiver only to send them back up to the distribution box in the attic. All cctv camera leads and aerial splits for other rooms terminate in the attic. I've tried ethernet over powerline but in my experience its definitely not as consistent as hard wiring by cat5. Perhaps its more to do with my sockets setup but thats another issue. I've also tried using a pair of those 950Mhz splitters to send the Sat signal and the Terrestial signal down a single coax, again it adds complexity. My setup is overly complicated (mostly by myself and lack of real knowledge). I've got a couple of RF modulators in the attic as well which allow me to add both CCTV DVR's as channels into the tv system. They are set by DIP switches to different channels, but again its difficult to avoid introducing some interference.

Long story short its easier for me to put the Sat Receiver in the attic - which then leaves the challenge of getting HDMI to the main tv and digital sound signal to the AV processor. I have 2 good coax (and one dodgy one) running from the attic to the front room, how can I best use these?

Hope this makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Running a length of Cat5/6 and some converters on either end shouldn't be too difficult to do (Cat5/6 is very cheap and relatively easy to run/hide) it will give you full 1080p hdmi out to your receiver for digital sound and then output picture to your screen?
    The HDMI over power line adapters are nearly three times the price of HDMI over Cat5/6.
    Drop me a PM if you need any more detailed info.
    cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement