Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTML comparison tool

Options
  • 02-04-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

Doing a software upgrade on a site, and want to make sure nothing's changed on the frontend. Which basically involves doing the same actions on both the test and live versions of the site, and eyeballing them to make sure nothing's changed.

Which is a bit monotonous, and obviously I might miss something.

Any one know any tools that could help? Ideally something where I could set up a test script, and have it run on both versions of the site, compare the HTML returned for each page, and flag differences? Or something that would spider each site and compare the corresponding pages?
    Even if I had to generate two lists URLs manually, and something that would bulk compare the corresponding pages.

Actually, just realised another requirement - obviously all the links on the test site will reference test.blah.com, while they're live.blah.com on the live site, so substitution would be needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

There's plenty of diff tools, stuff like Beyond Compare or even Notepad++ would do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Giblet wrote: »
    There's plenty of diff tools, stuff like Beyond Compare or even Notepad++ would do the job.

The problem is that I need to diff the generated html from the two versions of the site, not the source. For a load of different pages. And preferably in a way that's repeatable once I set it up once.

So far it's looking like a Selenium script to visit all the pages and save the sources, and Beyond Compare to compare the results.

I'd just assumed there's be a fairly standard utility for doing the lot.

Advertisement