Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How not to freak out during the Orals

Options
  • 02-04-2012 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

My standard of French is good but I got so nervous during my mock that it didn't 'flow' at all. I got really flustered, went completly blank and felt as if I was going to throw up.

I've got another mock oral with my own teacher after Easter, but that doesn't scare me at all. I really want to do well but I'm afraid my damn nerves will make me seem less fluent than I am and I'll lose loads of marks. Any advice? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

One of my classmates had actual 'nerves spray' or something like that for our orals. It seemed to work really well on everyone who used it (I didn't bother because I was already calm anyway). It sounds weird but it might be worth looking into! :)

Also, on the day of the orals, stay away from people who are going to be panicky, they'll just make you nervous. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Togepi wrote: »
    One of my classmates had actual 'nerves spray' or something like that for our orals. It seemed to work really well on everyone who used it (I didn't bother because I was already calm anyway). It sounds weird but it might be worth looking into! :)

That's the placebo effect, I can guarantee. It's more than likely just some sort of flavoured water. Don't waste your money.

Best way to avoid nerves is to prepare. If you don't like the topic, steer it onto something you do like, it's not that hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Picture them naked op, works a dream. :P

and I defiantly wouldn't take anything for nerves, tho it prob be a placebo but you might be unlucky and end up with a sedative

I never said the spray was legit, it was just an idea! It could easily just have been flavoured water in a spray bottle. I think some of the ones who used it weren't even that nervous. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Indigoat

I never said the spray was legit, it was just an idea! It could easily just have been flavoured water in a spray bottle. I think some of ones who used it weren't even that nervous.

Flavoured water it is! Haha, definitly staying away from panicky people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mrs. doubtfire

I won't lie, it is definitley the most stressful thing about the entire leaving cert. It is so hard not to freak out. I mean just think about it, this few minutes with an examiner makes up 25% of of 1 subject. And how well it goes for you could make or break your entire life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kydos

I'd say the best thing to do in that situation is focus on slowing yourself down. People who are in a panicky situation tend to speed up their speech which is bad news for the oral. Just make sure you're talking at a normal pace and give the examiner a second or two to finish his questions, don't bust in with your answer the moment he stops talking.

As I recall, my examiner was a fairly nice guy and he tended to look down at his notes a lot which made it much easier than direct eye contact. If he looks at you though you should return eye contact and not look like you're just spouting a rehearsed reply.

Also when I say slow down, don't overdo it or they'll suspect you're just trying to run the clock down. Just listen to yourself and make sure you're talking normally. If you think your standard is good then chances are you'll be fine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Picture them naked op, works a dream. :P
    Unless ofc it's a young good-looking examiner of the appropriate gender, in which case it might backfire a bit, especially on the lads! :p:D
    I won't lie, it is definitley the most stressful thing about the entire leaving cert. It is so hard not to freak out. I mean just think about it, this few minutes with an examiner makes up 25% of of 1 subject. And how well it goes for you could make or break your entire life
    Yeah, right! :rolleyes:

Stop trying to put the sh*ts up people and trolling, and go reapply your make-up!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hardly.
    A touch of the old áibhéil* there I think.

*exaggeration

Good job helping to prevent the OP from freaking out. :rolleyes:

The orals are nowhere near as bad/important as you're making them out to be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement