Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get through to Domino scheme at Rotunda?

Options
  • 02-04-2012 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've just been confirmed I'm 8 weeks pregnant with my first. My preference is for the Domino scheme (community midwives) and (I think) I fall within the catchment area for the Rotunda (live in D.7). Problem is, I've tried calling them three times now on three different days and keep getting a voicemail, leaving a message but they never call me back.

My questions are (a) am i missing something? Is there a particular number I should be calling, or do I have to go to the hospital in person, or...?

and (b) this isn't reassuring me very much. My other option is Mount Carmel - I have health insurance, and the difference between shared care in MC and semi-private in Rotunda is only abotu 600e, which I feel is worth spending if the standard of care I get is better in MC. As I say, I prefer the idea in theory of the midwife-led care, but if it's this hard to get through to them by phone, I'm starting to think they must be so busy that they can't have much time for their patients...?!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I'm doing shared cared in MC and I have to say, I find them excellent.

I, like you, had wanted to do midwife led scheme but when it comes down to waiting times for appointments, ward size etc I went with MC

Have never waited beyond my app time, they are so helpful with all my questions and I have to say, I like the fact that I'll be only sharing my room with one other mother (and 2 babies :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

I'm doing shared cared in MC and I have to say, I find them excellent.

I, like you, had wanted to do midwife led scheme but when it comes down to waiting times for appointments, ward size etc I went with MC

Have never waited beyond my app time, they are so helpful with all my questions and I have to say, I like the fact that I'll be only sharing my room with one other mother (and 2 babies :) )

I have to agree with you on this - I am going Shared Care in MC. I wanted to do the Domino scheme also and I was going to go to Holles Street but then got a little panicky with the nurses taking early retirement and knowing they are so busy I just felt I would be more confident with a more 1:1 or, in this case, 1:2 level of care.

I know you are there to do a job, its not a vacation but the level of attention I have received in MC to date has put my mind completely at ease. To each his own, I say. And, to be honest, if anything scary happens before 32 weeks I'll be heading straight to the NMH for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Hey guys, just to update anyone else who reads this thread. One of the Rotunda Domino midwives called me back yesterday morning, and we had a chat for a few minutes. She seemed very nice and reassuring, answered many of my questions - and I still feel, if I had to choose, I'd prefer treatment and delivery by a midwife rather than a consultant, would feel more at ease etc.

However, a couple of things she said have me very concerned, not about the care from the midwives but from the Rotunda generally. Firstly, there's no way to go semi-private through the Domino scheme, it's a public programme, which means (i'm assuming) the long uncomfortable waits I've heard of for any out-patient treatments like scans, and the possibility of being on a trolley in a hallway pre- or post-delivery (all those sort of scare stories you hear about going public). Then there's the fact the wait time for a 12 week scan is 5 to 6 weeks, which means (as I'm 8 weeks) I wouldn't get my first scan until 13 or 14 weeks. The midwife sounded lovely but you could tell by certain comments she made that there was a weariness and a frustration with how tight their resources are these days.

Part of me feels since I pay for health insurance each month, I should make use of it (and not further overcrowd the public system!). I'm going in to Mount Carmel for a look round this afternoon, and have a feeling I'll probably go with shared care in MC. Thanks for your advice :)

Advertisement