Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the written address of the 'Golf Ball'

Options
  • 02-04-2012 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

What is the actual address of the 'Golf Ball' out past moyross, I've heard this is a weather monitoring station but am not sure if it actually is, all I know is it is always referred to as the 'Golf Ball' by most people from Limerick I know.

I need to address to get gps directions as me and a friend want to cycle out to it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Woodcock Hill http://g.co/maps/ym674

Used to be able to drive up to it, but I think theres a barrier in place now. Should be fine for cycling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Just use google maps! It's easy to spot on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Alanchung

Thanks a million, no one I've asked has known the address :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Always wondered what happened to the 2nd one. Drove up there a few years ago, there was no barrier at the time but there was very little of the road left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Radar for the Irish Aviation Authority, whether it has a meteorological purpose or just purely for finding planes I don't know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Used to be able to drive up to it, but I think theres a barrier in place now. Should be fine for cycling though.

Thanks for posting that up - while I've driven up there before, I generally get lost trying to find it, especially if I'm cycling, and usually give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭German pointer

Alanchung wrote: »
    What is the actual address of the 'Golf Ball' out past moyross, I've heard this is a weather monitoring station but am not sure if it actually is, all I know is it is always referred to as the 'Golf Ball' by most people from Limerick I know.

I need to address to get gps directions as me and a friend want to cycle out to it

The road the Golf Ball is on is between Woodcock Hill and Gallows Hill. 1/4 mile from either. Tap either of these into the Sat Nav. Go up past Moyross and on past Brennans Cross and it is the next left, or you could come up past the new playgroung in Cratloe and straight on

The barrier is only a 100 yards short of the Ball. I walk my dogs up there a couple of times a week. Lovely spot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

The barrier is only a 100 yards short of the Ball. I walk my dogs up there a couple of times a week. Lovely spot

I know this is a long shot but if I had to guess I'd say your dogs are German Pointers. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Yeah just noticed that its actually updated now on Google streetview. Nice spot alright, fantastic views down the shannon estuary.

• Advertisement

I know this is a long shot but if I had to guess I'd say your dogs are German Pointers. :p

Not all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,884 ✭✭✭✭phog

The 3 ways I go to the "golf ball" are.

1. Out past Moyross and past Brennans X (Staggered 4 X rds, one towards Parteen other to Meelick) straight up the hill and take the next left.

2. Out past LIT, past the Country Club, over the humpback bridge, take the 2nd right, up to Y junction, pass out back gate to Cratloe Wood, up the hil, at next junction (at blue dormer) take a sharp right, so sharp you probably wont turn in one go and continue up the hill.

3. Up past Cratloe Wood main gate and playground, at the staggered 4 X roads (near the Blue dormer), keep straight up the hill.

Option 2 is a very narrow road after turning at the Y junction near the back gate to Cratloe woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Alanchung wrote: »

You'd be better off driving, parrticularly since its mostly uphill

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I cycled up there late last year. It's a challenging climb, but it's worth it for the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I cycled up there late last year. It's a challenging climb, but it's worth it for the view.

Used love that hill as a young fella, 30 mins to get to the top then 30 seconds to get to the bottom from the top.

Was up there again yesterday, it was quare cold when the hail stones started.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 krochford

Always wondered what happened to the 2nd one. Drove up there a few years ago, there was no barrier at the time but there was very little of the road left.

as far as i am aware the two were origanaly for triangulation of the planes back in the day.

then when transponders were fitted there was only the need for the one to recieve the data from the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,884 ✭✭✭✭phog

krochford wrote: »
    as far as i am aware the two were origanaly for triangulation of the planes back in the day.

then when transponders were fitted there was only the need for the one to recieve the data from the plane.

But back in the day there was originally only one then they built a 2nd one and have since removed one, not sure if they demolished the original one or the newer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Few pics from the last time I was up there (just over a year ago.) Might take a spin back up there soon, great view on a good day.

scaled.php?server=850&filename=ball2u.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=853&filename=ballm.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=94&filename=ball3.jpg&res=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Alanchung

Hows things, long time since I made this thread, just wanted to say thanks for the info you guys gave me and figured I'd throw up a picture of the success of eventually cycling up there!

It definitely was a tough cycle but worth it!5

• Advertisement
Advertisement